flashback: the dementors

Amara smiled, picking up her bag and throwing it over her shoulder. She blew off her anxieties as she stepped onto the train.

"Have a fantastic year, Amara!" Amara heard her mother call out, as she made her way down the hallway of the Hogwarts Express.

Amara couldn't believe this was going to be her third year at Hogwarts. It seemed time had been going by far too quickly, but she reveled in the present, knowing that one day it would all come to a halting end.

However, Amara had hoped to have a good year this year. Hopefully without any chaos.

~X~

"Why are we stopping? We can't be there yet!" Blaise said, unable to move from his seat. 

Amara woke up to Draco's violent shakes. As Amara woke up, she began to glance out the window, watching as the sky began to turn dark and the glass began to literally freeze over. The feeling of desperation, overwhelming depression came over her body. At this point, it had gotten so cold in the car that everyone could see their own breath. 

A large, darkening shadow had appeared to be opening the door to one of our train cars. Out of pure instinct, Amara ran to the door and tried locking it. 

"What is happening?" Draco spoke, holding onto Amara with desperation. 

As quickly as the event occurred, it went away.

"Dementors. They were checking for Sirius Black." Amara spoke, recalling the Daily Prophet's latest article. He had escaped from Azkaban and was on the loose. 

Amara didn't have any feelings toward the matter, it didn't exactly affect her. She knew that her and Draco would be safe one way or another.

~X~

"Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R. J Lupin, who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor." Dumbledore spoke, pointing over to Professor Lupin at the staff table. 

Draco scoffed and turned over to glance at the Gryffindor table, "Is it true you fainted? I mean, you actually fainted?" Draco laughed, making a dramatic reenactment of what happened to Harry with his hands. 

"Dementors are terrible creatures. I probably would have passed out too." Amara spoke, making Harry smile. Amara rolled her eyes at her brother and turned to listen to Dumbledore speak.

Dumbledore announced that Hagrid will be taking over Care of Magical Creatures, to which Draco was seething and Amara was relatively unbothered.

"Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban until such a time Sirius Black is caught. The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now, whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution; Dementors are vicious creatures they will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving. But, you know happiness to be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light."