flashback: the yule ball

As Blaise and Amara enter the Great Hall for the Yule Ball hand in hand, Amara noticed how beautiful the hall looks. A path of light spills from the entrance, revealing a darkened hall glimmering with icicles and mistletoe. The house tables have vanished, replaced by dozens of smaller ones, each glowing with lanterns around a central dance floor.

Blaise guided Amara to the center, getting prepared for their first dance. Amara took a deep breath, and heard the sounds of the quartet begin to play. As they do, Amara began to feel her feet move gracefully along with Blaise.

Amara smiles, feeling somehow accomplished that she was even here, dancing with Blaise Zabini, at the Yule Ball. 

As they danced, she looked around the Great Hall. She spotted Cedric Diggory dancing with Cho Change, Hermione Granger with Viktor Krum, and she frowned when she saw Harry Potter dancing with one of the Patil twins.

"Everything alright?" Blaise asked, feeling the air change. He looked at her once more, seeing as her face seemed to be sad. He wondered what she was thinking about. Perhaps she didn't like the music? Maybe her shoes were hurting her feet?

"Yes, I'm fine." She spoke with a smile, placing her arms around Blaise to dance, but when she saw Harry's eyes and they met hers, she pulled Blaise into a hug. He stopped dancing and immediately began to hug her back. His friend was in pain, but he didn't know why. He did know that she needed him, and he knew that he would be there.

But deep down, she wasn't just sad, she had wished she had gone to the Yule Ball with Harry.