30 My Word

"I'm gonna miss you," I say sadly. Standing outside of the airport.

Damon chuckles putting an arm on my shoulder. "I'll see you again Bambi. Sooner than you think."

"Promise?"

"It seems that your mother failed to teach you a lot about our culture." He dips getting down on one knee. "We don't make promises in this family."

"Then what do you say?"

He takes my hand and leans forward touching his forehead against it. "You have my word," he says. He leans back and looks up at me. "Then you bow your head in agreement." I do and he smiles standing. "Now we have a verbal oath. One bound by our words."

"But their just words. Same as a promise."

"Promsies can be broken," he says. "A word given out of mutual respect is tied to ones soul. If you break it, it chips away at you. The more you break the less honorable you are. Honor and respect Bambi, is the only thing keeping the world from ascending into chaos. It is what seperates the good from the bad. Humans with no honor and respect for life are the most dangerous. I'm sure you'll agree."

I nod. "I do...so do you always get on your knee?"

He chuckles shaking his head. "Only for big ones. Usually we do this," He taps the middle of my forehead which instatnly reminded me of Fred. My eyes closed naturally and I could feel a warmth spread from my head to my toes.

"What was that?" I ask opening my eyes.

"Magic."

"How did you do it?"

"Well when you have strong bonds with someone or share blood you can share a bit of your magic with them."

"Huh?"

"Oh boy, by definition magic is a supernatural force that can be used to override the usual laws of nature. The only difference between wizards and muggles is that we have the ability to manipulate the energy within us. Now not everyone can do this. What I just did was send you a little sprinkle of my energy. Only wizards who are very talented can pull it off."

"So if someone I cared about was dying and out of energy I could potentially save them by giving them some of mines?" 

"Mhm, but be wary if you give too much you may just end your own life."

"Good to know-"

"Okay it's my turn!" says Diana scooting in betwen us and giving me a hug. "I'm gonna miss you so much mi amore! Don;t forget to write me lots! Also if it aint wrapped you aint getting tapped."

I blush. "Diana!"

"Are you going back to the Weasley's?"

I shake my head. "Actaully Draco invited me to spend the rest of the summer with him. There's only a week left before school anyways."

She looks at Draco who stood a few feet away talking with Damon and Theo. "Things are going a little fast don't you think?"

"Maybe...but it feels right. We may be at each others throats most of the time, but he makes me feel...seen."

"Kai and I were the same," admits Diana. "We hated each other, but fell hard."

"We should get going," says Draco looking at the time. "Any longer and we'll be cutting it too close."

"I'm gonna miss you lots and I promise to write to you- I mean you have my word," I say tapping her forehead.

"Looks like somebody's learning," she smiles pulling me in close. " I know we'll be far apart but we are always here for you Bambi. Never forget that. You are never alone."