pt. 1

heejin pov

"In other news, the notorious mafia group known as The Boyz were spotted yesterday night at the local city bank," the news reporter spoke, keeping his words crisp.

"Their heist was cut short as authorities arrived to the scene when they had received a call from a passerby," he continued. "We urge all citizens to stay indoors during these dangerous moments. Please refrain from going out or gathering to meet at night to prevent interacting with any of the mafia members."

I clicked my tongue on that last statement. As a college student, night life was practically our way to relieve stress. And now, we can't have it because mafia. This mafia group have been running around the whole damn town for the past two months, robbing bank after bank (pretty surprised we haven't gone bankrupt yet).

"This mafia group is restricting our whole college night life. I heard that all the parties for the next semester have been cancelled because of the situation," my bestfriend complained behind me.

"C'mon Ryujin. Staying in the dorms for a while doesn't hurt," I tried to comfort her.

Her head, that was neck deep in my fridge, popped out to stare at me blankly. She let out a loud sigh before coming over to the couch I laid on. She grabbed my foot that were on the other side of the couch, just to throw it off and sit there.

"Ma'am, if you wanted to sit your ass down somewhere, you could've asked me to move," I whined, almost falling off the couch

"UGHH," she whined back, her hands crawled up to her pink hair to ruffle it.

I stared at the sulking girl, a pit of friendly guilt sitting at the bottom of my stomach. I grabbed the remote from the coffee table in front of us and changed the channel. A sci-fi was playing on one of the movie channels, making me pause on it.

Slowly, Ryujin's head lifted to the screen. Sci-fi was one of her favourite genres. No matter what, she would put down everything to just catch a movie that was replayed on the television. We watched it in silence; I would sneak glances at Ryujin to see her mouth agape and eyes balling out of their sockets.

Just then, the movie scene switched to someone typing vigorously on a keyboard, trying to hack into a dense server. It reminded me of something. Homework.

"Have you done the work Ms.Kim gave us?" I asked spontaneously.

"Wait. What work?" Ryujin asked, her concentration ever breaking from the screen.

"The one about Dense Security Systems. How to hack them. You're supposed to make an essay on it," I tried to prompt her brain into recalling.

"OH SHIT! I FORGOT ABOUT IT!" she shouted, now her concentration broken from the screen. "WHEN IS IT DUE?!" she asked loudly.

"Tomorrow," I said, a teasing intonation lingering in my voice.

"WHAT!" she shouted again, now getting up from her seat and running over to my door to grab her jacket and bag. It didn't take her another second to unlock my door and run straight out.

"See you tomorrow!" I shouted after the girl, who is unfortunately who I call to be, my best friend.

I rolled my eyes as I closed my door shut, turning off the television before heading to my room, to continue with said project. Unlike my idiot of a best friend, I managed to actually start it. I snapped my laptop open as I put the finishing touches on my project.

As I was looking out my window, to ease my eyes from the blue light that radiated from my laptop screen, I spotted someone someone with brown hair sprinting across the street where my window faced.

I thought of it as an anomaly at first; you know one of those weird athletes who still ran even during the middle of winter. But then, another with white highlights came sprinting down the street, then another with black hair.

One was an anomaly. Two was a coincidence. Three was a trend.

I placed down my laptop and opened my window; outside of it was a emergency fire ladder. I stepped onto to take a closer look of the last when I noticed that it was indefinitely one of the members of The Boyz. The eye mask gave it away.

His black hair bounced as he chased after his friend. His cape flew behind him. He looked like one of those kids who were trying to cosplays Superman during halloween; just that his clothes were full black.

"What the hell are they doing running down the street at 1 in the morning?" I thought out loud, whispering under my breath.

That was when an idea popped into my head. The police has held a bounty over any information that could be used to help them catch The Boyz, even for a single member. It was practically easy money - y'know as a broke college student.

I quickly hopped back through my window and grabbed my drone. I had designed it myself in the first year of college as part of a mid year assignment. It was equipped with a camera, microphone, grappling hook, night vision and heat signature lenses, and  a GPS. It also took up all my student allowance. I sighed at that memory. But it got me a GPA of 4.1 so- it was so worth it.

"Okay. Fly Birdie," I wished as I turned it on and started controlling it. By taking the high ground, I followed the third mafia member for the sky. Soon, it brought me to the museum.

"What do they want from the museum. It's filled with old, grainy shit from ancient times," I thought out loud.

I lowered my drone to the alleyways near the three. "Q! Why did we have to run!" the member I followed complained loudly.

Q?

"Stop being a baby, Sunwoo. It wasn't that far from headquaters," the other member who I assume to be Q answered.

Sunwoo?

"See! Even Eric isn't complaining," Q continued.

Eric?