Chapter 11 - I Wish

(Listen to I Wish by One Direction when the ball scene comes up! Hopefully it'll be on the side, but just search it up if it isn't...xD)

I didn't have a very clear idea of how I had managed to get back into the Honeydukes cellar, through the tunnel and into the castle once more. All I knew was that the return trip seemed to take no time at all, and that I hardly noticed what I was doing, because my head was still pounding with the conversation I had just heard.

Why had nobody ever told me? Dumbledore, Hagrid, Mr Weasley, Cornelius Fudge...why hasn't anyone ever mentioned the fact that my parents had died because their best friend had betrayed them?

Everyone watched Harry and I nervously in the Great Hall, not daring to talk about what we'd just overheard, because Percy was sitting close by us.

Fred and George set off half a dozen Dungbombs in the common room in a fit of end-of-term spirits. But Harry and I sneaked up to his dorm and found the photo album Hagrid had given us of our parents.

We stopped on a picture of our parents' wedding day. There was our father waving up at us, beaming, the untidy black hair we had both inherited standing up in all directions. There was our mother, alight with happiness, arm in arm with our dad. And there...that must be him. Their best man...I had never given him a thought before.

If I hadn't known it was the same person, I would never have guessed it was Black in this old photograph. His face wasn't sunken and waxy, but handsome, full of laughter. Had he already been working for Voldemort when this picture had been taken? No, no he couldn't - Hagrid had said that once someone goes to the dark side, nothing and no one matters to them any more. He looks so HAPPY in this photo...

Harry and I looked at each other simultaneously.

'Did he know that -...' Harry sent to me.

'I don't know. I don't know.' I sent back.

~~~

"Twins, you - you look terrible."

"Thanks." I said dully, flopping down next to Terry, who had obviously sneaked up.

Fred, George, Ron, Hermione, Amy, Suzanne, Shannon, and Draco were lounging around the common room, as it was the first day of the holidays.

"You really don't look well, you know. Go see a doctor." Terry made a lame-ass attempt at a joke.

"I'm fine." I said, looking at my lap. Terry obviously sussed out that I wasn't and dragged me onto his lap. Then, of course, we snogged.

"Guys, listen." Shannon said, exchanging looks with everyone else. "You must be really upset about what you heard yesterday - those peeps told us -" she pointed at the Insurgents, Draco, Ron and Hermione, "But the thing is, you mustn't go doing anything stupid."

"Like what?" Harry said.

"Like trying to go after Black, you idiots." Fred said sharply.

"You won't, will you, Daisy and Harry?" Hermione said.

"Because Black's not worth dying for." George said.

"D'you know what I hear every time a Dementor gets too near me - and Harry, too? Yes, I hear Tom Riddle, that Muggle, Floppy - and my mum screaming and pleading with Voldemort. And if you'd heard your mum screaming like that, just about to be killed, you wouldn't forget it in a hurry. And if you found out someone who was supposed to be a friend of hers betrayed her and sent Voldemort after her -"

"There's nothing you can do, mate." Amy said. "The Dementors will catch Black and he'll go back to Azkaban and - and serve him right!"

"You heard what Fudge said. Black isn't affected by Azkaban like normal people are. He's perfectly sane compared to the other prisoners in there. It's not a punishment for him like it is for the others."