Chapter 21 - The Ex War

"Let's just get to the hospital wing, shall we?" I said, avoiding the question completely.

Dumbledore backed out of the room, closed the door, and took out his wand to magically lock it. Emily stood beside him.

Panicking, we all ran forwards. The two of them looked up, and a wide smile appeared under Dumbledore's long silver moustache. Emily grinned from ear to ear.

"Well?" Dumbledore said quietly.

"We did it!" Harry said breathlessly. "Sirius has gone, on Buckbeak..."

Dumbledore beamed at us.

"Well done. I think -" he listened intently for any sound within the hospital wing. "Yes, I think you've gone, too. Get inside - I'll lock you in -"

Dumbledore didn't seem to notice the blood trickling down my face and in my hair, and my limp, because I was in the middle of the group as we all slipped back inside the dormitory. Emily gave me a quick hug.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!" She whispered fervently. I grinned, and quick as that, Dumbledore and Emily were behind the closed doors and the lock clicked.

We hurried back to our beds. Next moment, Madam Pomfrey had come striding back out of her office.

I angled my head so that my hair fell over the cut, and I quickly wiped at the blood on my face.

"Did I hear the Headmaster leaving? Am I allowed to look after my patients now?"

I could hardly eat my chocolate; neither could the others, it seemed. I was waiting, listening, my nerves jangling ... what if Fudge and Snape came in and saw my cut?

Then they'd know something was up, that I'd helped in Sirius's escape...

And then, as we all took a fourth piece of chocolate each from Madam Pomfrey, we heard a distant roar of fury echoing from somewhere above us...

"What was that?" Madam Pomfrey said in alarm.

This is it...

Now we could hear angry voices, growing louder and louder. Madam Pomfrey was staring at the door.

"Really - they'll wake everybody up! What do they think they're doing?"

I tried to hear what the voices were saying. They were drawing nearer -

"He must have Disapparated, Severus, we should have left somebody in the room with him. When this gets out-"

"HE DIDN'T DISAPPARATE!" Snape roared, now very close at hand. "YOU CAN'T APPARATE OR DISAPPARATE INSIDE THIS CASTLE! THIS - HAS - SOMETHING - TO - DO - WITH - THE - POTTERS!"

"Severus - be reasonable - the twins have been locked up -"

BAM.

The door of the hospital wing burst open.

Fudge, Snape, and Dumbledore came striding into the ward. I hurried to flatten my sort-of fringe that was growing, over my cut. Thankfully, my fringe was on the other side of my forehead than my scar, because I rather liked showing it off.

Dumbledore alone looked calm. Indeed, he looked as though he was quite enjoying himself. Fudge appeared angry. But Snape was beside himself.

"OUT WITH IT, POTTERS!" He bellowed. "WHAT DID YOU DO?"

"Professor Snape!" Madam Pomfrey shrieked. "Control yourself!"

"See here, Snape, be reasonable." Fudge said. "This door's been locked, we just saw -"