Chapter 12 - The Three Douchebags

"Had a good Christmas?" Oliver said the day after the ball in the common room. I grew excited, thinking of his reaction when I told him that my twin and I had Firebolts. And then, without waiting for an answer, he sat down, lowered his voice, and said, "I've been doing some thinking over Christmas, Daisy. After the last match, you know. If the Dementors come to the next one...I mean...we can't afford you to - well -"

Oliver broke off, looking awkward.

"I'm working on it." I said quickly. "Professor Lupin said he'd train me and Harry to ward the Dementors off. We should be starting this week; he said he'd have time after Christmas."

"Ah." Oliver said, his expression clearing. "Well, in that case - I didn't really want to lose you as a Seeker, Daisy. And have you ordered a new broom yet?"

"No." I said grinning. "Even better, Oliver..."

"What?" Oliver questioned, his face brightening at the sight of my excited face.

"Wait here. I'll show you." I dashed up to the dorm and snatched my Firebolt. I sprinted back down to the common room holding it over my head.

"A - a - is that - is - a FIREBOLT?!" Oliver whispered, his eyes going wide.

I passed him it, grinning. "Yes, yes it is!"

He stared down at it, mouthing in awe. He looked like he couldn't talk.

Then he fainted.

~~~

At eight o'clock on Thursday evening (which was the time that Professor Lupin had scheduled) Harry and I left Gryffindor Tower for the History of Magic classroom. It was dark and empty when we arrived - which was kinda spooky - but we lit the lamps with our wands and we waited only five minutes when Professor Lupin turned up, carrying a large packing case, which he heaved onto Professor Binns' desk.

"What's that?" Harry and I said simultaneously.

"Another Boggart." Lupin said, stripping off his cloak. "I've been combing the school ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, found this one lurking inside Mr Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real Dementor. The Boggart will turn into a Dementor when he sees Harry, so we'll be able to practise on him. I can store him in my office when we're not using him; there's a cupboard under my desk he'll like."

"Kay." I grinned.

"So..." Professor Lupin had taken out his own wand, and indicated that we should do the same. "The spell I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic, you two - well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level. It is called the Patronus Charm."

"How does it work?" Harry said nervously.

"Well, when it works correctly, it conjures up a Patronus." Lupin said. "Which is a kind of Anti-Dementor - a guardian which acts as a shield between you and the Dementor. The Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the Dementor feeds upon - hope, happiness, the desire to survive - but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the Dementors can't hurt it. But I must warn you, twins, that the Charm might be too advanced for you. Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it."

"What does a Patronus look like?" I said curiously.

"Each one is unique to the wizard who conjures it."

"And how do you conjure it?"

"With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating, with all your might, on a single, very happy memory."

I cast about for a happy memory. There were so many. I remembered Oliver's face when he saw the Firebolt, and sniggered.

"Right." Harry and I chorused.