Chapter 19 - A Sassy Evening

Harry nodded too.

"No!" Pettigrew had fallen to his knees as though our nods had been his own death sentence. He shuffled forward on his knees, grovelling, his hands clasped in front of him as though praying.

"Sirius - it's me ... it's Peter ..."

Sirius kicked out and Pettigrew recoiled.

"There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them." Sirius said.

Emily snorted. "Need some ice for that burn?"

"Hashtag shots fired." I said.

"Emily ... I'm your friend ... you wouldn't ..." Pettigrew turned to Emily.

"You stopped being my friend the day you betrayed Lily and James." Emily hissed.

"Remus!" Pettigrew squeaked, turning to Lupin instead, writhing imploringly in front of him. "You don't believe this ... wouldn't Sirius have told you they'd changed the plan?"

"Not if he thought I was the spy, Peter." Lupin said. "I assume that's why you didn't tell me, Sirius?" He said casually over Pettigrew's head.

"Forgive me, Remus." Sirius said.

"Not at all, Padfoot, old friend." Lupin said, who was now rolling up his sleeves. "And will you, in turn, forgive me for believing YOU were the spy?"

"Of course." Sirius said, and the ghost of a grin flitted across his gaunt face. He, too, began rolling up his sleeves.

"Wait, Siri, why didn't you tell me they'd changed the plan then? You surely didn't think I was the spy, or that I was collaborating with Remus?" Emily gasped. "If he was the spy, of course."

Sirius shook his head. "I just knew you wouldn't believe me if I told you that Remus was the spy - that being what I believed at the time. I thought you'd go and tell him because you two're so close. I didn't want to risk it."

Emily shrugged. "I guess that explains it. But what about James?"

A knowing look crossed Sirius and Lupin's faces. "He didn't want you to get hurt."

I got the feeling something much bigger was behind the Marauders' story.

Emily nodded.

"Shall we kill him together?" Sirius said.

"Yes, I think so." Lupin said grimly.

"You wouldn't ... you won't ..." Pettigrew gasped. And he scrambled around to Ron.

"Ron ... haven't I been a good friend ... a good pet? You won't let them kill me, Ron, will you ... you're on my side, aren't you?"

But Ron was staring at Pettigrew with the utmost revulsion.

"I let you sleep in my BED!" He said.

George sniggered. "We've been seeing that for years."

"On the Map." Fred explained. "There was always a guy called Peter Pettigrew sleeping in Ron's bed."

"We didn't want to say anything." George grinned. "We did think that it was a bit weird that Ron had slept with a guy from the very first day of school in first year, like, he was eleven and not exactly a charmer -"

"But we were very proud that Ronniekins had bedded someone already at that age." Fred winked.

"Kind boy ... kind master ..." Pettigrew crawled towards Ron, "you won't let them do it ... I was your rat ... I was a good pet ..."

"If you made a better rat than human, it's not much to boast about, Peter." Sirius said harshly.

"Pew pew pew!" Terry sniggered, pretending to shoot a gun.