seventeen.

𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞

•••

"SO WE HAVE DECIDED, AMELIA WILL BE ATTENDING ANOTHER QUARTER IN FINISHING SCHOOL." Hearing those words uttered from her Father's lips were all it took for her heart to start racing. The weeks of hard work finally paid off! She felt a huge weight lift off her shoulders and had to hold in her excitement. All her work up to the moment had been worth it. A quick glance at Marcus showed he felt the same, relieved he had some time left with his new girlfriend. Some time to figure out what to do.

"Completely understandable. Finishing school with be quick to snap her to. All I want is an obedient wife for my boy, you see," Mr. Mason gave a curt smile, directing his smirk towards Amelia. Her eyes narrowed and she felt like snapping at him. Even her Father seemed uncomfortable at his words, but as always, business came first. He stood tall, extending his hand to Mr. Mason. With that hand shake that was it, the deal was closed.

Amelia was back in business. Even though she felt sick to her stomach about the events that had happened in the leading days, her mind was set on finding Enola and rescuing her from the school. It would not be easy. They were designed upon strict schedule and supervision. She hoped Enola had been taking note of everything they would need, exits, entrances. But knowing the young detective-in-training, she was already on it. No cause for concern.

But one topic on Amelia's mind was the certain brunet marquess who had fled their inn from Lestrade. She wondered how far he had made it, if he was safe. Where was he staying? Amelia felt her stomach churn at the thought of him not having a safe place to sleep while she slept in the four poster bed of her childhood room. Yet she wondered if he felt guilty. With all that was going on all she could do was hope not. It wasn't his fault that the owner had figured out who the girls were. He was lucky he escaped, especially with his less-than-ideal family.

With that, Amelia and Marcus asked to be dismissed and they were, leaving the room in their own minds.

•••

THE CARRIAGE TO MISS HARRISON'S FINISHING SCHOOL was short— partially because Amelia had been lost in thought since her goodbyes to the Mason family (and her own of course.) Leaving Marcus again took a toll on her. The two had been together for so long and distances never meant much because before they knew they'd see each other again. But with this departure, things were different. When Amelia and Enola inevitably escaped the finishing school, their first step was finding Tewksbury and continuing their journey. But Amelia wasn't sure where that left her. If she went back to her home, she would be in so much trouble and would he forced back to finishing school. Her and Marcus would be wed and once again her life was in the hands of someone else. It wasn't a life she wanted, but it was all she had ever known. From a little girl she was fed her future in one way or another.

Amelia wasn't sure how she would ever manage to live by herself on the streets. Would Enola be staying in London? Where would Tewksbury go? She desperately missed her friends and craved to know the answers to her questions. Thinking of the boy only caused heart flutters and endearing smiles. How much she had fallen in such a short time, especially after being away from him. That night in the park would be one she could never forget. The way his hand felt in hers, or when they stared at the night sky in awe, amazed by the stars. The feeling of chills nipping at her skin had her unconsciously shifting closer to him. Kissing him on the cheek.

She felt as if she were in a play, the main character finally getting to live out her famous love story. One of adventure and romance and cliff hangers that left you on the edge of your seat. Like when they jumped off the train, tumbling through the grass. When he let her borrow his jacket the first night sleeping in the cold. Sitting around the fire and cutting his hair.

All those memories were swirling around her brain. She hardly noticed when the carriage stopped, the horse's hooves coming to a slow halt along the cobblestone road. The soft click of the door soon followed, their coach driver opening the door for them. Her Mother had accompanied her, reaching across the seat to take the man's hand. He assisted her down then helped Amelia out as well. The girls eyed adjusted to the bright sunlight, casting upwards to the building in front of them. The Finishing school was anything less than extravagant. Huge walls lined with bushes trimmed to perfection. From the limited view she had, she already knew it was a big building. Foundations like theirs always got support, even from her family. Everyone wanted their daughter's going to the best of the best.

"Perfect. Darling, welcome to Miss. Harrisons. Head up, eyes forward. Be on your best behavior," the sharp voice of her Mother interrupted her staring, making a scowl appear on her face that was gone as soon as it was there. The last thing she wanted was a scolding from her just before she was sent off. Not knowing if it was the last time she would see her or not, Amelia wanted to be respectful. Following her Mother's long strides toward the building while also keeping her back straight was difficult. It made her wonder how the older lady did it. Walking everywhere while managing to be so, fluid. There was no doubt she would learn about it in the time she spent with Miss. Harrison. However, she wasn't planning on staying long.

"Grab the door for me, will you?"

"Yes, Mother."

Amelia helped her Mother inside, being greeted by a grand lobby in a ruby red theme. At a large desk in the middle sat a fairly chubby old man, a scruff beard trimmed in a way that had long gone out of style. But he held kind eyes, a twinkle in them she couldn't quite explain. He reminded her of her teacher in school (from her limited courses and schedule) always coming up with crazy ideas and inspiring innovation among the class. Amelia missed him.

"Ah, Mrs. Hastings I presume?" With confirmation from her, his eyes shifted down to Amelia, "thank you for making the long trip down here." He smiled, making her lips twitch.

"Miss Amelia. I assure you that your stay here will be none other than home. I'm Regulus Lennon, the course planner and head of board." He declared dramatically, making her feel slightly less anxious. But just after he finished his introduction, a group of 'prefects' or so he called them, entered the room and swept her away without a proper goodbye to her Mother. As the doors behind her closed, so did Amelia's childhood.

•••

morgan is typing..

the sad end of amelia's home life.
it felt like she was too boring so i added a little flare. i hope you liked marcus and his family, i have more plans for him :)