eight.

𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤

𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤

•••

ONCE THEY HAD BEEN PLACED IN A ROOM, (one that was definitely not what they asked for), the girls settled down to get to bed. Amelia couldn't fall asleep, not only because the loud trains kept passing overhead, waking her up when she would calm down, because she missed a certain someone dearly. She pursed her lips in thought, staring at the worn down walls with distaste at her current thoughts.

There she was, doing exactly what she didn't want to be doing. At this age, at least.

"Enola, do you think I'm being foolish?" She shifted her gaze to the bed beside hers, where her best friend sat shifting around block letters in random arrangements. Amelia only faintly remembered what the other girl was doing, and it was something to do with a code. She never really questioned what Enola did, she just trusted her brainiac best friend to connect the dots in their complicated situations.

Pausing, the questioned girl looked up at her short haired friend, her light brown eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"What do you mean, 'Melia? You're one of the smartest girls I know. If you were going insane, I'd be the first to tell you," Enola replied absently, resuming her... brain puzzle. They quieted down for a long minute, the only sounds coming from the letters Enola was moving, and the flickering of the candle across the room.

"Yeah, well, I'm also one of the only girls you know," Amelia rebutted after a minute with her usual sass, feeling comforted by Enola's reassurance. She rolled onto her side, hand supporting her head as she stared at her best friend.

Enola let out a snort, gazing down at the letters with a grin. They finally appeared to mean something, which she jotted down on a piece of paper. Clearing her bed, the Holmes' girl sighed, looking towards her quiet friend, who, despite staring right at her, didn't seem to notice her movement.

"Amelia, is this about Tewksbury?" The question shocked her back to the moment, and immediately blushed crimson. Enola was way too smart not to notice Amelia's love-struck eyes, and pieced it together without a second thought. Of course Amelia didn't think she'd catch on so quickly, and it diminished any ideas of lying she had.

"Well... yeah..."

"Ame-" Enola began but was sharply cut off. Amelia knew she would rant all about how the Hasting's girl shouldn't (and didn't want) to be in love and betrothed to someone, and she is way too young, and Tewksbury is nothing but a runaway with trouble on his tail. Oh yes, Amelia could hear it all.

"Enola. I just— I can't control it. Every time I would look at his stupid face I'd notice a detail I hadn't before, like how his eyes are so dark, yet shined so beautifully in the moonlight when we were talking, or how when he smiles his cheek wells up in a cute little dimple, and his laugh— oh don't get me started!" She groaned in annoyance at her own emotions and flipped over, dramatically sighing in her pillow. She pulled it up to continue, not yet done her little rant. Enola blinked.

"—and I know it seems like this all happened really quickly but maybe it's exactly like he said! 'Near death experiences bring people together' and it's so true! When I first met him he was just another boy on the street, but he's interesting! He has a backstory! And he jumped out of a train- with me!" Amelia went on and on with her tangent, sitting up and crossing her legs as she stuffed a pillow to her chest.

"Enola- I like this boy!" She huffed, out of breath. After a few seconds, she cleared her throat and looked toward her bestfriend, who stared blankly, but her eyes said otherwise. Slowly, a smirk crawled on Enola Holmes' face, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

"Amelia Hastings is in love! And with a marquess nonetheless!"

•••

[unedited]