twenty two.

𝐝𝐮𝐜𝐤!

𝐝𝐮𝐜𝐤!

•••

AS THE WORDS WERE UTTERED FROM Enola's mouth, Amelia felt her heart drop. The darkness of the room only added to the horror atmosphere, and she found herself standing closer and closer to Tewksbury, who knew his way around. Her heart was pounding so hard she could feel it in her neck, her eyes wide with adrenaline as they crept further into the estate. The eerie silence was cut off by a rather loud snap, the shake of a rifle being loaded. Enola harshly grabbed the other two's wrists, yanking them down to the floor as a gunshot echoed throughout the room, shattering an unsuspecting vase on the table they hid behind. Amelia let out a cry, gripping onto Enola's side as they assessed the situation. Any nerves she had were smoothed out into full blown survival-mode.

"RUN!" Enola screamed, urging the two to follow her as another gunshot landed feet from where they were. Amelia scrambled up, her shoes sliding against the pristine marble floor. Tewksbury grabbed her arm to steady her, rushing through a hall towards the door. They crashed into it, trying to open it to no avail. A bullet ricocheted off an armour stand, the noise so loud it was blaring in Amelia's ears. Tears were now freely rushing down her cheeks as she frantically looked around for an exit. She had no idea of the layout of the estate, and it was fueling an internal frenzy. Bullets were flying off everything around them, wood exploding into dust as they ran around the dark hallway.

A figure could be seen at the end of the hall, a gun in hand. Enola pulled them up behind a statue, the three of them desperately trying to contain their breathing. The bullets ceased for a moment, footsteps growing nearer. Amelia grabbed Tewksbury's hand, digging her face into his shoulder as they awaited their fate. Amelia found herself thinking back upon her life, her childhood at her manor, growing up with her older brother. She thought about Abigail, how she always seemed to act like Amelia's real mom. She thought about sitting in her yard for hours, reading any book she could find from her father's personal library, or climbing trees with Enola. Her thoughts even wandered to picnicking with Marcus in the morning breeze.

Suddenly a bullet hit the head of the statue, dust flying everywhere. Enola let out a scream, as it was closer to her and Amelia whimpered, facing the gravity of the situation. Another bullet clashed with the statue, but it seemed as though the attacker didn't know exactly where they hid in the darkness, as he ventured closer. Enola suddenly got an idea, grasping a piece of the disregarded rock from the statue, giving Amelia and Tewksbury a "stay here" that was certain, before throwing the rock at the stand a few feet away. It clattered against the metal, the man turning and shooting it in response. With the distraction, Enola rolled across the hallway, disappearing into the shadows of that side.

The man came closer and closer to the pair's spot against the wall, Amelia huddling closer to the boy in fear. It became clear that with every new shot, the man was becoming teasing, striking fear into them until the final moments. As Enola hid on the floor across from them, Amelia made eye contact with her, a silent plead of fear for the long haired girl to do anything to help them. The man shot the stand next to them and it came crashing down on top of them. Tewksbury stuck his arm out, pulling Amelia's head into his side to protect it from getting hit. Then the game was over.