Chapter Four Chosen

David hadn't stepped in for years. While the village expanded, the cycle of life remained the same. People lived and died from the events of fate. Weaving people's lives together or tearing them apart. This is how death envisioned things. He stood, leaving the rooftop he perched himself on.
Using his scythe to return to his realm, he entered the quiet arena, hearing nothing but the shifting sands and the breeze blowing through the empty stone archways of the arena.

Soft footsteps approached. 'Forgive the interruption death. The soul bane has made a perimeter around the arena. The assassin will not interrupt the ceremony.'
'Good remain vigilant, was Luna's soul hunt successful and were you revelled?' Death asked.
'No sir, they both remained unaware we observed them.'
'
Return to your post, soldier. We shall begin shortly.' Death said.

Reapers entered the arena. Two thousand members of his family. Took their seats in the stands, while death waited nearby in the shadow of the wings. His golden-brown eyes scanned the crowd. Spotting Luna amongst them, he smiled. She remained blissfully unaware of his plans for her.

Regina stood at the back of the stands leaning against the sandstone wall, her eyes distantly looking towards the east. She descended the stairs. Death sighed, inhaling before stepping out, walking towards the centre of the arena. Applause and cheering filled his ears. Regina stood beside him, her features stoic.

'Are you ready for this, Regina? Once everything comes out, you may suffer humiliation.' Death warned.
She snorted, casting a glance towards him. 'Let's get this over with. I want to keep some dignity. 'Regina said coldly, locking eyes with Luna, who stated back, confused.
Death rose his hand, quieting the crowd, they settled down waiting in silent anticipation.

'Welcome everyone, I called you all here today to announce Regina Summers, will no longer be my apprentice from this day forth. I will allow her to state the reason in her own words before I name my successor!'
Regina stepped forward, hearing whispers of betrayal from the other reapers. She smirked to herself. They weren't wrong. She cleared her throat. 'An assassin followed me through the archway and has entered death's realm. He is currently somewhere within the area, as I speak.' Regina said.

The crowds became vocal, talking over one another in anger.
'She's a traitor!'
'
Maybe she hired the assassin, so she can take over as death.'
'
We should banish her. Regina has placed us at risk.'

Death's sharp whistle pierced through the arena. 'Enough, brothers and sisters. I understand your anger. We will take Regina into the custody of the soul bane that aside, I have chosen a new successor. Luna, please join me.' Death said.
She stood puzzled and confused, watching as the reaper's attention drifted towards her, her mouth agape with shock. Tension entered her jaw, smiling awkwardly as she descended the steps.
She bowed before death, who smiled. "I have chosen you to be my new apprentice, Luna, Cater, do you accept?" Death asked.

Luna's gaze darted around the arena, aware of the two thousand eyes awaiting her answer, while Regina glared and seethed, her anger boiling within her.
'It would be my honour, I accept.' Luna said. Applause and cheers erupted from the stands. Luna summoned her scythe, the cold metal soothing her sweaty hands.
Death placed a solid hand on Regina, both watching with curiosity.
Luna raised her scythe in the air. The atmosphere changed the arena. Charged with electrical energy, thunderous storm clouds gathered above their hands. Lightning struck the tip. She twirled her scythe, forming the shape of a raven around their feet. The reapers observing from the stands stared in bewilderment.