Chapter Thirty-One Death match

The surviving contestants mourned and buried their dead, burning pyres, fluttered in the dawn. People prayed over the shadow graves of their loved ones; people whispered in hushed voices. Inside the camp, the others who lived through the soul hunt understood their pain.
Luna sat beside the campfire. The tents behind her held her teammates, either taking the time to rest or reflect on the events.
Scarlett's blade sat in the darkness, in the tent she shared with Luna, the reaper left her to her thoughts, grateful for the silence, Luna held a mug of freshly brewed coffee, the amour enhanced her senses, her body ached, from the physical exhaustion of the event. She leaned back in the chair, watching the funeral prepared for the fallen.

Hushed whispers permeated the camp as the crowd entered the tournament of lore through the shimmering magical barrier, keeping the native animals at bay. Luna gently placed her steaming coffee on the worn wooden table, her eyes alight with joy as she embraced a grinning Matthew. The air was thick with anticipation as they took a deep breath, filling their lungs with the earthy scent of the surrounding forest.

"Congratulations on your impressive performance so far," Matthew chuckled, his voice filled with admiration. Luna's eyes widened in surprise as she noticed the absence of the intricate runes that once adorned Matthew's muscular, bare skin. She reached out, her fingertips grazing his arm. "What happened to your runes? And what about the underworld?" Luna asked, her voice laced with curiosity.

Matthew clasped her hands in his, a reassuring smile on his face. "Relax, my reaper girl. The abyss queen is gone, and in return, Macha freed me from my punishment," he explained. Luna's worry melted away as she listened to his words.

"Be cautious if you face him in the Colosseum. He won't fight fair," Matthew warned, his touch tender as he caressed her face. Luna smirked, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "I'm just glad you're alive. The Abyss Queen was impossible for me to take down."

"Your safety matters most," Matthew replied, his voice filled with sincerity. Luna's disappointment was obvious as she sighed softly. "I'm sorry, Luna. I lost the hellfire crystal. Vincent snatched it without me noticing, and by the time I realised, he had escaped into the fiery depths of the lava valley," Matthew confessed, his tone tinged with regret.

Luna's disappointment turned into determination. "Vincent is a master trickster. No one is safe from his deceit. But for now, we can't go after him. The tournament must take precedence," she stated, shaking her head. Matthew reached into her pocket and retrieved a wedding band that the Abyss Queen had stolen.

"I found it under a seat after she escaped," he admitted, placing the necklace around Luna's neck. A gentle smile graced Luna's lips as she inspected the diamonds for any damage. "Thank you, Matt," she whispered, her voice filled with gratitude. As she ruffled his hair playfully, a burst of laughter escaped her when a loose strand fell onto the table.

"Good luck, my love. The death match will be the ultimate test," Matthew cautioned, his eyes filled with concern. Luna's nerves were on edge as she replied, "The tournament is far from over, but something tells me that death is lurking in the shadows, plotting something sinister."

Leaning in, Luna placed a soft kiss on Matthew's cheek, scrunching her face in disgust as the taste of dirt invaded her mouth. "Lord Drake, you desperately need a shower," she playfully sassed. Matthew smirked, firing back, "And you could certainly use one too, my Reaper girl," he teased.
"The camp's showers are ice cold, despite the scorching heat from the nearby volcanoes," she remarked.

"But without my powers, how can I possibly win?" Luna questioned.
"You've done impossible things without them. You completed difficult assassins, training your more than your powers."
Amanda laughed, her cackling cheerfully. She approached the two, beaming. "We are having a private conversation here," Matthew warned, his voice laced with a soft growl. Luna placed her hand on his shoulder, stopping him from getting into Amanda's face.
"Hope you survive the arena Luna," she said. "But chances are David will destroy you and consume your soul," Amanda taunted.
"We shall see Amanda. Good luck this afternoon." Luna struggled to keep Matthew from ripping the blonde women's head off.