Chapter Seven The warlord's residence

David sensed Alice's arrival the moment she stepped through the archway. She stumbled towards the cathedral, battered and defeated. Her arms blistered from the burns she received during the batter. The reapers gazed at her with pity; she headed for the stairs, stumbling onto the second floor, her knocks echoed, against the wood.
'Come in, Alice.' David replied. Quelling the emotions swarming inside him,
She entered, closing the door behind her. She approached the desk. The wood creaked when she grasped it for support. He turned to face her, rendered speechless by her appearance. Her face bruised and her arms burnt and blistering.

David walked around the desk, approaching her, gently inspecting her arm. She flinched at his touch. He sighed.
'Apparently things didn't go according to plan then?' David said.
'No sir, unknown to me, Luna had allies. A fire, Delmora, defeated me. I apologise for my failure. It won't happen again. I underestimated his strength. I will return and continue the hunt for the traitor.'
Death froze, replaying Alice's words. 'No Alice, for now rest. If you see Logan, please tell him I need to speak with him. I will give you another chance, when Luna least expects it.'
Alice bowed, limping out of the room.

Death walked out onto the balcony overlooking the courtyard, where new reapers trained down below. He leaned against the railing; he pulled a cigarette out, lighting the end. He inhaled the whiff of smoke, lost in his thoughts.

'A fire Delmora, huh? Where had he encountered the being before?' He wondered.
'After one hundred years, have you finally come out of hiding? To simply meddle in my personal affairs, lord Drake?' David asked. The eternal night. David left his office, heading down the staircase into the lobby.
He exhaled, the cloud of smoke approaching the golden hourglass. The soul count remained steady, however, the corrupted souls increased because of unknown causes. Death figured humans became greedier, allowing the darkness to grow, flaming their dark desires.

He sensed a disturbance within the threads of life and death. Soon, the ties between the hidden worlds would snap, unleashing hideous monsters, which consumed the black souls, gaining strength with each one they devoured. The reaper's true enemy. It's why he insisted the new recruits being trained by the soul bane themselves.
Logan excused himself from his present conversation, approaching death.

'Their training is going well, master. Alice said you wanted to speak with me?' Logan said.
'Yes, enter the kingdom of Aerilon. I need you to investigate the dragon crypt, where the magical vile is thinnest.'
'
What will this accomplish?'
'
If the darkest abyss has opened, all reapers are in danger. We have enemies. We are not invincible, and the Lurkers can steal our souls or capture us. Be careful, Logan, and report back your findings.' David instructed.

Logan nodded. 'Where is the entrance to the abyss?'
'
Near the ruined tower, a monument to the kingdoms passed battles, stay alert, dragons prowl the area.' Death warned.
'
And Logan, leave the traitor be for now. We have more important matters to attend to.'

Logan leaves. Death finishes the smoke, stamping the remains into the ground. He taps his scythe on the concrete, opening a gateway entering the vortex.
The sound of crashing waves greeted death. The sea breeze blew inwards from the sea, leaving a tinge of salt on his tongue. He appeared outside of Estonia village, where the coast met the sea beyond the dyad forest.

He walked along the Stingport harbour, the primary hub for the transport and cargo ships constantly entering the kingdom. He avoided the new arrivals from the distant lands. If anyone, man or beast, was unfortunate enough to brash past David, their life force would drain, shortening their lifespan.
His dark, potent aura stretched out, affecting the catches stored within the cargo vessels. Soon, the smell of rotting dead fish clouded the area. The anglers spoke in hushed and confused tones. David ceased his breathing, passing the fish market, his intended destination laid beneath the harbour, where mighty serpents ruled the faded sea.