Chapter Five Framed

Her heart dropped, her stomach twisted as she ascended the stairs. Grave sat by the broken door. Water flooded the hallway. Lightning flashed, brightening the destroyed room. The cloaked assassin escaped through the open window, feeling into the raging storm. The sounds of heavy rain on the cathedral's roof muffled Grave's sorrowful howls.

Cole's oak desk lay overturned, paperwork laid scattered around, either destroyed by the flooding bath or stained with Cole's crimson blood. The markings of an enchanted sword scarred the walls. The paint peeling, while the wall beneath crumbled where someone hit it.
A trail of blood stained the carpet where Cole's body lay motionless.
Luna's next breath froze in her throat. The shrill cries of ravens covered Luna's heartbroken screams. She knelt down, cradling Cole on her lap, his body stiff. The rain poured into the room.
A flock of ravens preached around them. Luna choked back a sob, grabbing his scythe handle, tugging the bloody weapon out of his chest with considerable effort.
Hot, sticky blood stained her hands. She opened the hidden compartment. A watery blue soul dropped into her hands.
She removed the skull from around his neck. Cole's soul merged with the necklace. Luna gasped.
'
It's not supposed to do that.' She thought panicked, trying to open the skull.
'The goddess has gifted Cole's scythe to you, champion. Please give us the skull and we will deliver it to the goddess.' The raven assured her.

Luna crouched down, closing his unseeing eyes, which blankly stared up at the ceiling. She stood. Watching his scythe melt into the water before disappearing.
She approached the raven. Its warning screech sounded within seconds of someone grabbing onto her shirt. Throwing her across the room, she landed on the broken doorway, cutting her arm on a sharp piece of wood.
'David? I sware I found Cole dead.' He ignored her words, unable to hear them. He hugged Cole, silently weeping with grief and anger. Luna stood on shaking legs.

Death's aura pinned her against the wall, immobilizing her. She gasped the force pressed on her chest. Luna couldn't breathe. Death stroked her cheek.
'I want the truth. Did you kill Cole?' His golden-brown eyes bore into hers.
'No, the assassin did. He escaped into the storm.'
'
Nonsense I banished the assassin from my realm. The truth or I'll strip you of your reaper abilities.' Death threatened.

'The assassin returned, David. He killed Cole.' Luna said.
'Since you want to admit the truth, and have broken our laws. I therefore relinquish you of your reaper powers.'
Grave growled, attracting death's attention. The ravens swarmed, attacking him with talons and beaks. His hold snapped. She got on Graves's back. He jumped through the window, running out through the iron gate.

'Death has become blinded with grief. You must escape Raewyn to clear your name. Hurry. Luna, the soul bane is coming.' Morgine warned.
The sands came alive, trying to swallow them. While Grave dodged the attacks from the soul bane. Jumping into the sliver archway.

The green tunnel shimmered the current carried them away. They landed in the forest. She fell off her wolf companion, fainting from exhaustion and blood loss. Someone crouched beside Luna, having caught the scent of blood.

Luna stood amongst the evergreen trees. Morgine gracefully strolled through the forest, beckoning Lina to follow. The goddess's bare feet crushed the leaves scattered along the forest floor. Her raven-coloured hair slowed softly in the breeze. She glanced back, only to ensure Luna was keeping pace with her.

'Greetings, I have something to show you.' She spoke. The goddess headed north, braking through the trees.
Luna's sadness echoed around her, walking among the overgrown gardens, growing wildly untamed around the crumbling ruins. The parts of the forgotten castle that remained reminded her of a command centre, where countless battles were fought. Nowadays, the tower stood as a monument to a bitter and tragic past.

"You will meet an eccentric warlock, cursed with eternal youth, you knew each other in a pervious life and he will help unlock your forgotten memories. The strands of fate are weaving the people you once knew together.'
'
You will connect with the others soon. Farewell and good luck, Luna.' Morgine said.