Chapter Seventeen The Monastery

Luna woke up in the morning. It was early; she left a sleeping Logan stretched out on the couch. The fresh crisp air blew in from an open window. Racheal was sitting on a frozen rock outside, her legs crossed underneath her meditating. Luna grabbed her snow cloak hanging by the door. She went outside, her boots sinking in the snow.

"Racheal, is Kaiden awake yet?"
Racheal opened her sky-coloured eyes. Grey clouds covered the sky, darkening with falling snow. "Yes, he was up before us. He's training nearby. How is Logan?"
"The abyss queen has messed up his mind. Physically, he'll be alright. He wants to join us, to access the archives in the monastery."

Racheal handed Luna a green soul. "I found it this morning, while searching for salmon, don't ask what happened to the person. Their death wasn't pleasant. Luna took the soul and learned that the previous owner had perished because of freezing. Souls sometimes kept records of a person's last memories. The green curry's warmth filled Luna's body as she ate it.
"Thank you, Racheal. Please let me know if there's anything you need help with while stalking your target." Luna said.
"Be aware of your surroundings, keep a note of the exits, and watch the other monks. I've heard rumours that the monks are assassins, that their charitable donations for the less fortunate really buy valuable and irreplaceable objects." Racheal said.

"Where did you hear about this?" Luna asked, frowning in confusion.
"The locals in the inn they refuse to go near the monastery. They said the monks were trained assassins."
"Are you sure they aren't just spinning tail tales, Racheal? I mean, have they ever set foot inside until we can proof it? I cannot trust the rumours are creditable." Luna said.
"We should still be wary, Luna." Racheal said. Stretching her legs.

Kaiden returned from his training season. The smell of smoked venison lingered on his clothes. "Good morning, ladies," Kaiden said. Logan had appeared mounted on a dark, reddish-brown horse. Logan had adjusted his jacket, so it hid the Leacher but kept himself warm, he appeared paler than yesterday.
"Kaiden, I offered for Logan to join us at the monastery. Racheal is okay with it." Luna said.
He rose an eyebrow. "I worked for the abyss queen. She called you her instrument. Are you still under her control? If the abyss queen takes control of your mind and attacks any of us, I will defend myself and the others." He warned.
"However, you're welcome to join us," Kaiden said.

Shira joined him, rubbing her head against his arm. The snow leopard carried around a hunk of raw meat in her mouth. Kaiden mounted Shira, waiting for Racheal. The group headed south.
The blizzard left a fresh layer of snow. Their animals navigated the frozen wasteland easily. Today, the frigid gusts were less intense than yesterday. The blizzard caused low visibility. Making it impossible to figure out the right direction. Kaiden came prepared with a set of goggles to protect his eyes. He seemed immune to the harsh winds and bitter cold. Shouting did nothing, Luna wished for either of her scythes to clear away the stupid ice storm. Hopefully, Kaiden could gather their bearings and figure out the right direction.

Time passed before the travellers met up with merchants and caravans looking to sell their wares. The blizzard has finally ceased. Rough terrain drove the merchants to seek shelter. From the elements, their wooden wheels weren't designed for the dangerously thick ice.
"Should we stop to help them?" Luna asked. Riding beside Kaiden.
"No, the monks will assist them shortly." Kaiden said.
Wooden drawbridges lowered a pathway to avoid the thinning, frozen lake.
"The Tundra Planes experience a shift in mid-season sometimes and the thick ice becomes unstable." Kaiden explained.
"So if I fell off the drawbridge. The ice beneath us would crack and I will go for a freezing swim?" Racheal questioned.
"Pretty much if an animal didn't eat you first." Kaiden laughed.

The stones resembled a fortress, while the arched windows exuded the warm flicker of candles. Monks, dressed in thick robes and holding lanterns, were visible inside the walls where the sound of distant drumbeats echoed. They adorned the walls with colourful banners, inviting travellers to the glacier festival. As they approached the iron gates, the monks greeted them with friendly smiles and waves, opening the gates to welcome them in.