The Queen's return End of part one

They filled the courtyard with various scented plants, stalks of lavender and rosemary grew in between the trees, red pomegranates sagged from the branches. Golden waters flowed from the fountain. While Alice exchanged words with the guards, the doors opened. Racheal picked a growing pomegranate. The sweet scent enticed people to eat the fruit.
"Should you be touching those?" Luna asked, puzzled.
"Relax Luna, you would only be bound to the underworld if you ate the seeds. But they are useful for mercenary work." Racheal explained. Amused, she placed six seeds in a jar. Placing it inside Shane's satchel, Alice beckoned the group to follow.
"Apparently the lord is expecting us." Alice smirked cheerfully; she seemed relaxed as they entered the castle.

Burning torches lit the hallway, the doors closed behind them. The place filled with warmth, even the stones heated at Luna's touch. She stared out the arched windows; the sky cleared, the storm settled down, northern lights glimmered, sending brightly coloured beams shooting across the sky.
They carved the castle into the mountain; the servants walked through the stone doorways to enter the tunnels, leading deeper into the metal mines of the underworld's volcanos. Each time a doorway opened, an intense heat burst into the castle, the smell of sulphur whiffed inside from the opening.
"What is lord Drake's operation here?" Shane asked.
"He mines the rare minerals inside the underworld's volcanos and the workers and Matthew himself extracts the pure metals and transports them throughout Aerilon and other continents." Alice explained.
These metals were used to construct her scythe and forged into the fires of the local volcanoes." Alice said.

"So, Matthew has a trade going with the reapers? In exchange for black souls, no doubt." Racheal remarked. Luna nodded in agreement, but silently debated whether Matthew was an ally or enemy. He never liked death, and she couldn't trust him. His help came from unknown motives.
Their footsteps echoed against the stones as they passed sealed rooms. A flock of ravens tapped on the windows, their talons carrying the souls of the departed. The armoured Delmora opened the windows, retrieving the treasures, carefully sorting the coloured orbs from the black ones.
Luna took comfort in the fact to the reapers took time out from hunting her to continue their duty, a twinge of regret stabbed at her heart, she missed her comrades, hunting souls and being part of their community in some ways Luna missed death.

Kaiden brought her back to the present. They came towards these elaborate double doors; It intricately framed them with golden leaves. Attached to golden scales weighing the pure white souls and the discarded black souls representing the wicked souls.
Alice led them through the throne room. Luna glanced towards the golden and orange throne. There was a smaller throne. The massive room could hold the population of the underworld and other formal gatherings, with the lord and lady looking over the events. Racheal stopped. "Monitor Shane, these simmering jewels might disappear." She laughed.
Luna smirked. Upon arriving at Matthew's study, she took a deep breath and braced herself. She didn't know what to expect. She slid her shaking hands behind her back. Alice knocked.
"Enter." A male voice said from behind the door. She opened the dark wooden doors.
"Your guests have arrived, my lord."

"Excellent, bring them in." Matthew said.
His emerald, green eyes glanced over the group. Overlooking Luna's companions till his eyes landed on Shane, who flinched under the Delmora's gaze. "Shane, I hope our agreement hasn't slipped your mind. Remember, we both have something each other wants." Matthew produced a vail of red bubbling liquid. Shane paled; disbelief etched onto his face. His grey eyes transfixed on the vial.
Matthew smiled at Racheal. Who crossed her arms, studying the books sitting on the bookshelves within the study. "Scarlet blade I presume? Your reputation proceeds you, as my guests help yourself to refreshments." Racheal nodded, acknowledging the lord of the underworld.

Servants prepared a table of honey cakes and scones with jam and cream accompanied by a selection of alcoholic drinks, tea and coffee. Shane sat first, pouring himself a glass of whiskey with ice. A cracking fireplace provided some warmth against the chill in the room. "Are you sure the food won't trap our souls in the underworld? Shane asked.
Racheal shook her head, sighing at the wizards' stupidity, making Luna chuckle. "Only the pomegranate seeds growing outside have the power to bind our soul's dumbass," she replied. Racheal chose a honey cake and poured herself cold water. Luna ignored Matt, deciding on the cherry flavoured wine or the honey mead. She poured herself the golden drink.