Chapter 44

"I've located the girl." Hisashi reports to Baji as Mikey sits opposite him. Baji had found Mikey and the latter was shocked to see him.

Immediately, Mikey hugs Baji. Mikey managed to hold back his tears as he shows Baji the purple shrine charm.

"I love you and the guys in Toman but I'm going down a path that I don't want the rest of you to follow me. So I pushed the others away and made them despise me." Mikey mutters as he stares out of the window. It was raining heavily.

"Hmmm, somehow I have a bad feeling about tonight." He whispers to Baji when Hisashi interrupts them.

"What girl?" Mikey questions Baji.

So then Baji explains to Mikey everything that he heard from Takemichi.

"Fuck this shit. I'm not working with them." Mikey cursed as he prances around the room. He wants to save Emma and Maria now. Right there and then.

"I know you'll say this. So how about I give you information on my side. And you work with me for a while. Not with the others. Since you're going to be my brother soon." Baji suggests as Mikey freezes.

"My brother?"

"Yeah! You think I wouldn't marry Maria?" Baji questions Mikey who huffs, but the wedding.....

Baji understands Mikey's hidden words.

Will he be inviting Draken, Takemichi and the others to it?

"Well, we'll see if Maria even accepts my proposal." Baji laughs awkwardly in a corner.

"Hmph, good to have you back, idiot." Mikey smiles as Baji laughs with him.

Still, Mikey couldn't wipe away the feeling of unease in his stomach. —————————————————————
Shuni stares at the dark sky. Vael stands beside her and they guarded Senju and Takemichi.

They were sitting at a separate table from the two as Senju stands up to use the bathroom.

"我跟着你。" Shuni says as Vael said she was going to follow her.

Senju nods as the other white hair girl follows her through the rain, instantly drenching her from head to toe.

As much as Senju feels bad for making Shuni wet, she knew better than not to make Shuni stay, the other girl is too stubborn sometimes.

As Senju finishes her business, she sees multiple figures in the distance. Squinting her eyes, she sees that it was South's members and before them was a worried looking Takemichi.

The leader pulled out a gun.

That set Senju sprinting as Shuni races after the other girl.

"Don't come near me Senju!!" Takemichi warns, too late she was already in gun range. Takemichi throws himself before her just as Shuni unsheathes her katana.

The rain was harder for her to see the bullets but she deflected them due to her training.

"What the hell?" The leader murmurs, taken aback by her speed.

"Die!!" He becomes more desperate, Draken appears and kicks the guy's gun. Shuni looks at Draken as the two made eye contact. He wanted to say something but stops when he sees Vael appear behind her.

"Uh Shuni, I'm terribly sorry, but your sister ran from the place she was held at." Vael says in Japanese.

Shuni turns around as Draken's felt a knot in his stomach.

"And South's man got to her." Vael continues softly.

"She didn't make it." Those words echoed in Shuni and Draken's ears as Takemichi and Senju heard it loud and clear.

"I suspect South's man was trying to use her against you and Draken to force you two to join him." Vael speaks as more words flowed into Shuni's mind, she takes off her mask.

Draken shudders, it really is her.

She drops her oni mask onto the ground as it landed in a puddle with a heavy splash. Her fingers going to her eyes as she took out the gold contact lenses, revealing the dead and blank dark eyes underneath.

"South huh? That fucking bastard." Maria whispers softly, hand gripping tight on her katana as her white hair cover her eyes.

All this time, she had been following Himura's orders as Emma was held hostage.

Now, she doesn't have to help them anymore. She's free.

"Senju! You were attacked! We'll have to return them the damn favor." She could vaguely hear Takeomi yell as the world was fading in colors before her. She felt like she was underwater again.

Like that time when she was told Baji was murdered. "Shuni?" Vael calls out to her. Draken places a hand on her shoulder.

"You didn't fail as a big sister." Draken whispers. Maria's shoulders trembled as she signs. Tears flowing from her eyes. She thank him god it was raining so no one could see her tears.

She could still hear the two Akashi siblings arguing about bringing the whole of Brahman here to fight Rokuhara.

They were suddenly cut off as someone arrived.

South dramatically makes his entrance, his loud voice filling her ears as she turns around to look at him. Her dark eyes glaring at him as Ran and Rindo saw her.

!!

Her heart aches to see them standing by the enemy's side.

Before the pain could increase, a loud vrooming sound could be heard as Maria sags in relief.

He's finally here.

Mikey arrives.

TBC