~ chapter 4.3 ~

We were taking our time getting back to our stations, but apparently too much. The black rain alarms started sounding. I tightened my grip on Jaspers hand and pulled him toward the door as fast as I could.

"Everybody, move, move, move!"

He slowed down, stopping. "What are you doing, come on!" I said, pulling on his arm. He didn't move. "Come on, Jasper!"

Monty grabbed the door to shut it, and I was still pulling on Jasper's arm.

"Jasper! come on!" Monty shouted.

Thunder boomed.

"Cressida, get in here!" Clarke shouted.

"I'm not leaving him!" I yanked harder on his arm, moving him just so slightly. For such a frail kid, his balance was steady.

"Can't live your life in fear." He called to the door. More thunder boomed. He tilted his head back to catch the rain in his mouth.

"Run!" Clarke yelled.

The rain started to fall. Monty rushed out of the door, and Harper followed him. "Monty, you can't!" She grabbed his arms.

"Jasper!" Monty yelled. "Let me go!" He reached me and grabbed the back of my shirt, pulling me inside.

"No!" I shrieked, as the rain fell harder.

Jasper started to twitch, and began gagging. He fell to his knees.

"Stop!" I cried, as if I could command the rain to stop falling and save him. "Clarke, what do we do?"

He choked out a few words, but it was inaudible over the rain. "The sky is falling!" He started laughing. "The sky is falling!"

"What is wrong with you?" Clarke yelled.

"It's just rain, not radioactive ash."

"Dude," Monty sighed. "Not cool."

Everyone turned inside, and I rushed out to get the maniac inside.

"Come on. It's a joke. Don't be like that, guys."

I pushed him inside. "When did everyone around here lose their sense of humor?" He muttered. I didn't answer. I shut the door behind us, walking to my room.

"Don't do this, Cress. We just had so much fun!" He chased after me.

"That was mean, Jasper. You really stressed us out back there. We did have fun, the most fun since getting to the Ground. But it's over, and we have to keep preparing. I know you don't care, but I don't want either of us to die."

I hurried to my room and shut the door, sinking into my bed. I was even more confused. We were doing so well, and had spent all night together. But I wasn't getting anywhere. He was still depressed, and every time I thought he was getting better and maybe seeing me again, he just turned right back around.

Monty frantically knocked on my door an hour or so later. "Cress, please, this is really important."

I opened my door. "Geez, Monty, I'm here. What's wrong?"

"Clarke had Jasper locked up." I pushed past him and we ran down to lockup. He was sitting on the ground, dejected.

"Hey, guys." He muttered.

"What happened?" I asked, leaning against the cell wall.

"Ask Clarke, I'm sure she'll tell you." He spat. I looked over at Monty, who whispered, "Later."

"Are you okay? Can I do anything?"

"Other than the shock-baton Clarke hit me with, I'm fantastic."