Chapter 33 - Politics

Political games have never been Anakin's forte, but he's willing to play by the rules and stall Tarkin as long as he can until the Death Star has been destroyed and the twins rescued. He knows that, based on what the Grand Moff had told him, should something happen to him while he's on Coruscant, his aids will order that the twins be executed. It's definitely a surefire way of keeping Anakin in check because he won't take any action which might hurt his children. Ever.

He can, of course, kill Tarkin after he's proclaimed Emperor, but that would be incredibly messy, and the political nightmare which would follow isn't worth it. Tarkin has underestimated Anakin if he thinks that he really has the upper hand. So much the better, he supposes. That means that when the inevitable occurs, Tarkin won't know what hit him. Regardless of what it takes, he will die for what he did to Ahsoka. She was only a child when she was framed for the bombing of the Temple, the event which led to her leaving the Order, and had Anakin not been able to discover the perpetrator – killing Barriss was so satisfying – Ahsoka would, no doubt, have been executed. Was it part of Sidious' plan? He'll never know, but it no longer matters.

Dressed in his Vader armor, Anakin stands on the landing platform of the Senate building as Tarkin's shuttle touches down, the ramp lowering shortly thereafter. The want-to-be Emperor disembarks, head held high, seemingly confident of his success. His mistake.

Anakin clenches his fists, even as he formally welcomes Tarkin to the surface before walking into the Senate with him. The longer he drags this out, the better. The Senate has already been informed of the fact that the Emperor – Anakin – is to be giving an address, so they're all ready and waiting. He can almost feel the anticipation in the air, and he can't help but wonder how many of the Senators are secretly collaborating with Tarkin.

Soon, too soon for his liking, they arrive inside the large assembly room, where all the Senators are waiting for them. Now is when things become tricky. Anakin will have to choose his words carefully, so as not to tip Tarkin off, but at the same time, not necessarily giving the reins of the Empire to someone else.

"Senators, citizens of the Empire," Anakin begins as he steps up to the podium. The silence is so acute that even the slightest rustle can probably be heard. Perhaps it's because he looks like Vader, or perhaps it's because the assembled can feel the tension in the air. Anakin doesn't know, and he frankly doesn't really care either. "After the recent and tragic assassination of the now late Emperor Palpatine, I, as was my rightful place, took the throne. My sole goal is to do what is best for the people. Being Emperor is not easy, and the burden to ensure the safety and security of all is difficult to bear, though it is not one which I would protest carrying."

He pauses deliberately, letting his eyes sweep across the room, looking at the silent faces, both curious and impassive before continuing. "I have never been interested in politics, not when I was younger, and not now that I am older either, but I have strived to do my duty for you, the people." He dislikes admitting to a weakness, though he knows how necessary it is. This is the only way he can properly explain why he's giving up the throne – and the power – to another without admitting to being blackmailed or coerced.

"I am not the person who should be leading this Empire. I am a soldier, not a politician," Anakin explains, "And I feel that there are many who are better suited than I am for the role of Emperor. If I am surrendering my throne, then I am duty-bound to ensure that my successor be as honorable and focused on the people as I am." He can't actually hear the decisive and skeptical thoughts, but he can certainly feel the doubts of many. It makes him wince, once more ashamed of the actions he took while under Sidious. The crimes he committed may never stop haunting him and making his life difficult.

They should be skeptical of them. They should doubt his words. Those who do are likely those who care for their people, at least predominantly so. Shaking his doubts aside, Anakin turns slightly gesturing for Tarkin to step forwards. He does. "There is another who the late Emperor Palpatine trusted, who served him as closely as I did," Anakin declares. "I imagine that, if he had not died the way he did, then he might have named Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin as his successor, knowing of his greater proclivity towards the political arena."