Chapter 28

Jessie groaned and buried her face in her hands, trying to calm her nerves. If she was scared, the baby would feel it too and that would build up to a bunch of problems she didn't want. "Ugh. Me and my great ideas. I shouldn't have taken us out on that walk."

"They were bound to catch us anyway, Jess," James reassured. "I think it was their plan this whole time." He stood up from the miserable mat on the floor and searched every pocket he had. "There has to be something. We could contact the twerps." He patted his pant pockets and frowned when he didn't feel anything. "I swore I took my phone with me..."

Jessie didn't bother looking for hers. She left it in her bag and even if James had his, Team Rocket wouldn't have let them have such a tool to let them call for help.

"We've been locked up before, couldn't we just dig out?"

"How do we know we're not on the last floor?" Jessie challenged, swinging her arms out to gesture to the room around her. "Worst comes to shove we dig out into another room just to be caught and faced with worse punishment." She shuddered at the thought.

"We lock pick."

"Oh, yeah, because once we open the door they're definitely going to let us just walk out the front. We don't have anything to lock pick with!"

"I could break us out if you have a bobby pin!" James said with a hopeful smile, to which she just sighed at.

"Just drop it, James! This is dangerous stuff you're considering! You really think we can get out of here? There's no way we can escape!"

His hopeful smile flipped and he frowned. After everything between them, he was trying to be nice to her. "Oh, wow! I certainly didn't think about that! Thanks for being so optimistic, Jess! Is there anything else you would like to tell me while we're here?"

Jessie whipped her head towards him and matched the fire in his eyes.

For as long as she could remember, she always knew what he was thinking, how he was feeling, just with a single look. And as they shared a three-second eye contact, Jessie knew that he wasn't trying to be difficult with her. He really did want to help, that's all he ever wanted to do, and lately she was the one who'd been stopping him. He deserved everything, but now here he was, stuck in a cell with her and she couldn't keep him happy for a minute. Her heart acted before her mind did, and her lip began to tremble as a whine escaped from her throat.

"Yes... one more thing," Jessie said, barely loud enough for him to hear. She forced her mouth to open and she grabbed onto the cell bars as uncomfortably tight as she could. "I'm... pregnant."

"Great, there is something else- Wait... what?" His eyes widened as her words finally processed in his head. "What did you just say?"

Jessie scoffed, trying to force impatience to hide her humiliation. "You heard me..." She could feel his eyes on her, and she was sure he had that dumbstruck look of his on his face right then. He didn't say anything for a minute, making her feel worse the longer the silence stood. 

"Really?" Was all he managed to squeak out, sounding faint, but it was enough to make Jessie turn back around to him to give him a look that answered his question.

"Is that a bad thing?!"

James quickly shook his head. "No! No, it's not!" He had his hands tangled in his hair as he stared at her bare midriff, and he took a careful step closer to her. When he finally looked back into her eyes did she notice he was starting to tear up, and he even laughed to her surprise.

"So this is why you've been like this? Nothing's wrong with you? Y-you're not getting tired of me?"

"No," Jessie said as if it were the most obvious thing, but his assumption broke her heart. "I'd never." She had never seen anyone look as relieved as he did at that moment.