CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

"St.Mercies has shown me that I am not alone. Everyday is a chance for me to get better and I am glad I came here. I really don't know what would have become of me if I didn't take this step. Tomorrow I am checking myself out because I feel like I'm ready now to face the outside world again. Thank you all for taking part to help me get better and I will  forever be grateful. Sharing my personal stories here and not feeling judged was by far the most important thing I experienced here. Thank you once again and I will miss you all "

Since I came here that's all I've been hearing every single day.

How girls came in here so broken and damaged and leaving whole and happy.

I still haven't seen why this place is so special and the mechanism it use to heal broken souls because all we do every day is stay locked in our rooms and leave just when it's time to share stories and maybe when you have been visited.

Also, you gotta keep out of trouble if you don't want them to inject you with whatever it is that they give us.

To be honest I nothing about me has changed but I'm really hoping that whatever that heal the other girls will knock at my door one of this fine days.

I never got the courage to share anything with anyone during those peer talks.

Maybe that's because I felt my story was way more sophisticated. Every girl who came in there was either an addict or a runaway who felt like there parents didn't give them the attention they deserved.

Only a few of us were dealing with some real shit. Really.

"And we for sure wish you the very best Eunice." Sister Maryanne said as we all clapped.

"Who else is ready to share?" She asked looking my way.

Sister Maryanne is not the only one who was desperately waiting for the day I'll give them a piece of my story.

They kept saying 'whenever you are ready, we are patience' but deep down I knew curiosity was killing them inside.

"I'll share."  A girl named Samantha Craine said.

Everybody turned in awe and that includes me. 

Just like me, she never shared a thing with anyone.

Surprisingly we also share a room and we've never said a word to each other.

Not even a good morning.

The others girls probably think that it's a conspiracy that we two both have against them because how coincidentally is it that the both of us won't share.

Samantha sharing her story will probably ease the tension among the other girls and maybe they'll stop saying we are selfish.

And I'll never have to share anything.

"First of all I just want to tell you all that I am here against my will."

Whoa! That was bold.

And so straight forward.

" I am here because I basically wanted to live my life differently.  And I will. Neither this place nor anyone will be able to stop me from doing the things that makes me to be me. My parents think I am an addict because I smoke weed and drink liquor on weekends. They also think I am rude because because I tell them the truth and also think I hate school because I skip classes once in a while."

"I think your parents want the best for you that's why you are here." Sister Maryanne said.

" No I'll tell you what they want. They want a perfect daughter and I am not. Every teen needs to pass through this phase and this place is actually wasting my time because there is a lot I missing out on. I am okay. I am not an addict and even though I hate school I'll always finish it anyway because I want a future."

Wow!

She meant every word she said and that is by far  the honest and realest thing I heard since I walked in here.

I haven't got the time to tell you how Samantha look like so please, allow me to do you the honors.

She is a tall , dark and beautiful baby girl.

Her walking style is one of a kind and her voice is bold just like her words. Her figure type is perfect and her hair is curled.

Not long ago she said she isn't perfect but I think she is.

Not that I am hitting on her I'm just appreciating her beauty. Not to mention admire it.

"You'll  say a different thing tomorrow just allow yourself to grow and be open for a change."  A girl who sat at the corner said to Samantha.

"Another reason why I never shared is because of this. Jesus Christ what is this place? Oh I hate it here."  Samantha said and walked out pissed.

"She'll eventually like it. Just like everyone one. For now just let her be." Sister Maryanne goes.

Samantha was bold enough to say what I couldn't. Everything she said suddenly made sense to me and if anything, it convinced me that I didn't need a room full of sisters and a bunch of lost teenage girls to get better.

It dawned on me that I was here because I needed to convince other people that I was focused on getting better for them to accept me whereas there was nothing wrong with me.

I watched her storm out of the room and wondered whether to follow her or sit my ass down and listen to the remaining boring stories.

***************