Chapter 21

Nick

"Hey, Nick!" I hear a feminine voice call as I'm walking towards my truck after work. I turn and see a petite girl with short dark hair trying to run to catch me in ridiculously tall high heeled boots. I stop walking, mostly because if I don't I think she's going to fall flat on her face. Somehow she makes it over to me without incident, and reaching out her hand towards me she says "Nice to finally meet you, I'm Marley." Confused, I grasp her hand and shake it, "Uh, sure, nice to meet you Marley." She grins and says "I'm Mia's best friend."

My traitorous pulse picks up at the sound of her name. I swallow, forcing myself to chill. "That's cool" I reply shortly. Marley looks at me expectantly. I'm not really sure what this girl wants from me. I add, "I think I've seen you two together before."

She smiles widely "Well of course!" For a few awkward moments she just continues to look at me with that creepy smile on her face.

Ok then.

"Well uh, I'll see you around?" I say, backing towards my truck and making my escape.

"Wait!"

I stop and look at her, raising an eyebrow expectantly. "Sorry" she says, "I just had never gotten a close up look at you before now." She shakes her head like she's clearing her thoughts. "My boyfriend, Liam, he's over there" she points behind her and I see a guy leaning against a sports car. I already don't like him.

"He's hosting a party tomorrow night out in the desert. A pre-thanksgiving thing. It's going to be amazing, really. You should go."

That's why she came running after me? To invite me to a party?

I nod my head "Yeah, sure" I say, but really there is zero chance I'm going to this party. She must see that in my
expression because she adds "Mia will be there! I think she could really use another friend there too." She raises her eyebrows at me expectantly.

"Another friend?" I scoff. "I'm sure she will be plenty busy with her boyfriend and his groupies." This girl has no idea what she's taking about. I'm the last thing that Mia needs. As much as I can't stand that pretentious dick she's dating, I know he's a better option than me.

"Cole and Mia broke up weeks ago." Marley says, peering at me.

Oh. That stops me for a second. I hope she's okay, I think. I've been doing everything I can to avoid Mia. Ever since that day I took her to our tree house I've been kicking myself. I let my walls down. All those walls I spent years building and maintaining, and they just about crashed and burned when I damn near kissed her under that tree. The way her eyes lit up in memory completely weakened me. But the next day all I saw in her eyes was sorrow, and it reinstated the one fact that I know is true: All I bring to anyone I love is pain.

"She's been pretty isolated lately" Marley says. "She told me you used to be her closest friend. I thought maybe you guys could spend some time together?"

I clutch my keys in my fist tightly, ready to get out of here and away from this conversation. "Listen, Marley" I say, "I know you mean well, but you don't know me. I'm the last person who can help Mia."

She narrows her eyes at me and says "You're wrong. I think you're exactly what she needs." I start to shake my head but she places her hand out in a stop motion "Look. I don't know all the facts of your relationship but I do know Mia, and Mia is hurting right now. She's lost, walking around half asleep and not really living. I think you can change that."

For such a tiny thing, this girl is kind of scary. And also pretty damn perceptive. I just nod my head in reply, she's not going to take no for an answer and honestly I'm at a loss for words, I was not expecting this.

Marley straightens and smiles too widely "So.. I'll see you there? See you Nick!" She turns abruptly and runs back to her boyfriend.

I walk back to my truck thinking, what in the hell just happened?

Mia

The next few weeks pass quickly. I keep to myself at school, avoiding Cole's searching glances and ignoring Kimmy's gloating smiles. I pick up as many extra shifts as I can at work and buckle down on my schoolwork. So far I have avoided any conversations with Marilee regarding Cole and I by staying away from home as much as possible.

Nick, on the other hand, I have not been avoiding, but he is obviously doing his best to avoid me. I've gone to Save Mart several times after school to grab a snack and try to catch his attention, but I never succeed. I look for him in the halls or the cafeteria, but anytime I think I catch a glimpse of him, he's gone a second later.

I just don't understand how he can let me in one second and completely pull away from me the next. But on the Wednesday before thanksgiving he throws me for a loop.

I'm sitting on a bench outside of school after the final bell when I glance over to see Nick sit down beside me. For a moment I'm speechless. I've been looking for him everywhere for weeks, and right when I'm beginning to give up, suddenly he's just right beside me. I turn my body towards his and he brings his gaze to mine with a small smile. He has headphones in his ears and I notice that his hair is starting to grow out now, curling up at the ends. He reaches up and pulls out one of his earbuds and gently places it into my ear. The touch gives me goosebumps and I look down, trying to hide my reaction to him. I let the feel of the musics beat pulse through me for a few moments before meeting his eyes again. He's staring back at me, and for a while we just stare at each other, unashamed, unapologetically. I start to smile, letting my gaze move from his eyes to his mouth. With a jolt of surprise I realize he's smiling back at me.

"HELLO!"

I jump, startled, and turn my head to see Marley making frantic hand gestures in front of me.
"Earth to Mia. Hello!"
I pull the headphone out of my ear. I know I'm blushing when I say "Hey Mars, sorry I didn't hear you."

"What are you guys listening to?" Marley asks, but then continues without waiting for an answer. "We're heading to the party spot now to set things up. Are you coming tonight Mia?" She glances over beside me "Nick?"

I don't answer right away. Instead I turn toward Nick to see his reaction, expecting him to say no. Instead he shrugs, and still looking at me says "Looks like it."

"Awesome!" Marley squeals. She looks back and forth between the two of us and smiles broadly. I roll my eyes at her. I wasn't planning on going to this party but with the way Nick is looking at me right now, I can't bring myself to say no.

"Mia do you need a ride home? Liam and I can drop you on the way" Marley asks. Before I get a chance to reply Nick says "I can give her a ride."

"Are you sure?" I ask, because I'm dumbfounded that this is the same guy that's been ignoring me for weeks. "Sure" Nick shrugs. "You're place is on my way" he says, standing and pulling his keys from his pocket.

"Perfect!" Marley claps. "I'll see you both tonight! She skips off and jumps into Liams car, waving.

Nick tilts his head in the direction of his truck and starts walking towards it. I jump up and follow him.

-————
Hi, thank you for reading this far! Please vote if you're enjoying the story!