Chapter 42

Mia

The next morning Nick picks me up for school, waiting in his truck with the window rolled down and that smirk on his face that I love so much.

"Good morning" I say, sliding into the passenger seat.

"Good morning to you" he replies with a quick kiss.

Nick reaches towards the radio to turn up the dial but I stop his hand.

"Wait"

He looks up at me, eyebrow raised expectantly.

"I've been meaning to ask. How did you know where I lived?"

"Huh?" I've picked you up before,
Mia."

"No" I shake my head, "not now, before. That first time you gave me a ride. Right after you scared me half to death when I was walking home. You took me straight here. You didn't have to ask where I lived."

Realization flashes in Nicks eyes as he straightens up in his seat. He looks out the window towards my condo and nods his head slowly, clearing his throat before answering. "I looked you up." He meets my eyes "you and Marilee. I searched for you. I found your address and thought about knocking on your door probably a dozen times before I ran into you at that party."

"Really?" I ask softly, remembering how hurt my feelings were when I realized he had been back in town for weeks before I saw him the first time. I thought he hadn't cared to search for me like I would have him.

"Yeah" Nick sighs, raking a hand through his hair. "I did everything wrong when I came back, Mia. Not contacting you, pretending I didn't remember. I'm sorry"

I take his hand, stilling it. "It's ok Nick. I have you now. That's all I care about." I place a kiss on the palm of his hand before releasing it. "Honestly I like knowing that you looked for me." Nick squeezes my thigh, smiling, before shifting his truck into drive and heading towards school.

..

The next few weeks go by quickly, a pattern of school, work, Nick, repeat. The small moments are what makes the days blissful. The moments between classes or on the drive to school when he smiles at me and tells me he loves me. He makes every normal day feel like the best day, filling a space that I didn't even know was empty.

I love that Nick just came right out and told me he loved me. It's like all my insecurities have fled since I heard those words. Nick Parker loves me. Gosh I have loved that boy practically my whole life. And to know that it's not just one sided makes me feel so much more confident in my heart.

"Want to come in?" I ask Nick when he drops me off after school one afternoon.

He looks at me hesitantly "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Marilee's at work for..." I trail off as I look over at the dash for the time "two more hours. It's fine" I reply, knowing what he is concerned about.

"Okay" he shrugs "for a little bit"

I can see the hesitation in his eyes when I unlock the front door. I smile at his cute worried expression, grabbing his hand as I lead him inside "it will be fine!"

"See" I say, flicking on the light switch in my room and shutting my door. "Nobody home but us" I smile at him, pulling out my hair tie and unraveling my braid.

The hesitancy fades from nicks eyes and is replaced with something else as he watches me. Something darker.

"Just us" he replies, grabbing me by the waist and walking me backwards towards my bed. I sit down and Nick steps between my legs, leaning down and taking my mouth with his. I back up, keeping my mouth locked in his as I lay down. Nick rests his weight on his forearms, hovering above me.