13

I took a few steps into the sewer, allowing the dwarves room when they hopped down. Thorin came first, followed closely by Dwalin, then Bilbo, then the rest.

"Dwalin, lead the way," Thorin said gruffly, pulling me back a bit.

He was still worried about my wellbeing to the point where he was not about to let me lead anything. I rolled my eyes at him but did not protest for fear of getting the horrible smell in my mouth. We followed the instructions given to us by Bard's son, finally turning the corner and spotting the light the boy had told us about.

"This way," Dwalin said gruffly.

We followed him, stopping when he stopped.

"The boy said he would knock three times to give us a signal," Dwalin whispered, looking back at Thorin for approval.

The dwarf beside me nodded. The knocks came in less than five minutes and Thorin gave another nod to the dwarf. Dwalin lifted his head out of the toilet and mumbled something to who I could only assume was Bard's son. Soon he pulled himself out of the sewer and Thorin ushered me forwards. He crossed his fingers together, urging me to use his hands as a stepping stool. I did so and grabbed the hand of Bard's son. I gave him a quick thank you smile before heading up the stairs to my right, not bothering to wait for Thorin. 

"Da, why are there dwarves climbing out of our toilet?" Asked a tall curly haired brunette as I ascended up the stairs.

"Will they bring us luck?" A younger girl asked.

I smiled at the question, reaching the stairs and heading over to where Dwalin was standing.

"Where's your bodyguard?" He smirked.

"Still in the sewers," I rolled my eyes, "And he's not my bodyguard."

"Whatever you say Baggins. All I know is ever since you showed up, whatever ice was covering his heart is all but gone now."

I waved him off but couldn't stop the small smile that made its way to my face.

"Here's some dry clothes," The younger girl said, handing me a bundle of clothes with a smile.

"Thank you!" I smiled back.

I looked around, noticing more of the dwarves had made their way into the room. Most of them had taken off their shirts and pants and started changing without care. I looked down at my shirt then back up at the dry clothes. The younger child must have noticed my discomfort because she looked at me with another big smile and cleared her throat to get my attention.

"You can change in my room if you want," She told me.

"Thanks," I paused, waiting for her name.

"Tilda!" 

"Tilda," I repeated.

She took my hand, leading me around a corner and into a small room. It was decorated with brightly coloured tapestries, a small bed, and many soft looking blankets.

"Here it is. I'll wait outside for you so you don't get lost getting back!" She told me, closing her door.

I smiled again, grateful for the first genuine bit of kindness from someone other than the dwarves. I pulled on the light blue tunic, grey pants, and boots Tilda had given me, then opened the door of her room.

"You look so pretty!" She complemented. 

"You are too kind."

She took my hand again and led me back to the main room where a worried Thorin was pacing around.