14

There is an important authors note at the end!! Make sure to read it after finishing this chapter!! <3

Bard came back in a few short minutes, laying down a wet cloth, filled with different weapons. Thorin picked up a long wooden rod covered in sharp hooks on one end. The dwarves grabbed some other weapons while I stood back, watching their faces turn sour.

"What is this?" Thorin asked in disgust.

"Pike-hook. Made from an old harpoon," Bard told him.

"And this?" Asked Kili.

"A crowbill, we call it, fashioned from a smithy's hammer. It's heavy in hand, I grant, but in defence of your life, these will serve you better than none."

Thorin and Dwalin shared a disgusted look before Gloin piped up, "We paid you for weapons. Iron-forged swords and axes!"

"It's a joke!" Bofur exlaimed, throwing his weapon back into the pile.

The rest of the dwarves followed suit. I rolled my eyes. 

"You won't find better outside the city armoury. All iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key," Bard told them, crossing his arms.

The dwarves continued to grumble under their breaths.

"Leave it too dwarves to be continuously unappreciative," I snapped, looking each dwarf in the eye and lingering on their leader.

"Thorin," Balin spoke up, catching the attention of the taller dwarf, "Why not take what's been offered and go? I've made do with less; so have you. I say we leave now."

I nodded along with them, hoping the dwarves would just go. The longer we spent here, the less time we would have finding the mountain.

"You're not going anywhere," Bard said, earning the eyes and ears of everyone in the room.

"What did you say?" Dwalin asked with a sneer.

"There's spies watching this house and probably every dock and wharf in the town. You must wait till nightfall."

With that, the man left the room, stepping out onto his porch and away from the dwarves. I couldn't blame him. Even now I found they could be overwhelming. The dwarves seemed to disperse around the room, splitting off into groups, each with their own conversation. Thorin made his way over to me but instead of waiting, I walked over to Fili. He was one of the only people in the group that wasn't getting on my nerves.

"How's it going" He asked as I took the seat beside him.

"Your uncle is more stubborn than anyone I have ever met."

"Yeah I know. You should meet my mother. She's just like him, but worse."

"I don't know if that's even possible!" I laughed, trying my hardest not to look at Thorin.

As much as I wanted to be annoyed with him for being stuck-up and entitled, I couldn't help but look at him with admiration. 

"You're staring," Fili whispered, nudging my shoulder.

I shook my head, "Whatever blondie."

I looked up at Thorin again, attempting to be sneaky but caught his eye. He stared at me with an almost pleading look and I rolled my eyes.

"I'll be back," I said quietly to Fili.

He chuckled as I dramatically stood up.

"Why are you mad at me?" Thorin asked once I reached him.

"I'm not mad. You all completely ignored all the work Bard put in to protect your ass. He put his job, his safety, and most-likely the safety of his family to ensure you could all pass through town unseen. Does that mean nothing to you?"

"We paid for weapons y/n."

"And you were given weapons Thorin. I don't imagine a sword is going to do much more damage to a dragon's hide than that pikehook."

"You don't under-"

"And in case you forget," I gestured to myself with my thumb, my face red with frustration, "Bilbo and I are the ones who will be stealing from that dragon. We are the ones that will need the best weapons, and you don't see us complaining, do you?"

Thorin looked down at his feet. He appeared to be at a complete loss of words.

"The bargeman promised us weapons. These are tools used for fishing. Tools needed to survive in this town. If we... if you want any chance of surviving against a dragon, you will need more than a big wooden mallet," He placed a hand on my shoulder before walking away towards Dwalin.

I stayed where I was standing, my anger not leaving my body. The dwarves were dense, but Thorin had a point. I glanced at the weapons on the table, my gaze only leaving at the sound of a small cough in front of me.

"Excuse me," Tilda's voice followed.

I turned my head and greeted her with a smile. She handed me the small locket I had forgotten was in my wet jacket pocket.

"I found this when I was hanging your clothes to dry. Is that your mother?" She asked.

"Yes," Said sadly, looking at the now water-stained picture.

"It's ok, my mother's dead too," She sighed sadly, "I don't remember her but Sigrid tells me she looked just like me."

I placed a hand on her shoulder, "I'm sure she was wonderful."

The girl smiled, enveloping me in a big hug. I hugged her back. She pulled away and gave me one more smile before skipping off in search of her sister.

"Y/n," Thorin called.

I turned around, my anger finding its way back to my brain. He gestured for me to come join the group now huddled in the corner and after a moment of internal debate, I did.

"We are leaving, pack your things," The dwarf said without asking for an opinion.

"Leaving?"

"Yes, before the bargeman gets back. Dwalin's come up with a plan to get us into the armoury, we leave in no more than 30 minutes."

"I don't think that's a good idea. I'm sure if we ask him nicely, Bard can help us."

"Y/n!" Thorin raised his voice, immediately turning my anger into a mix of surprise and fear, "I wasn't asking for your opinion. Pack your things, or stay behind."

I looked at him in shock, my mouth slightly open. He hasn't spoken to me in this manor since the day we were captured by cave trolls. I quickly glanced around at the other dwarves who also all seemed surprised at his sudden outburst. I looked down and walked away, towards were Fili had been sitting before. Bilbo followed me, sitting down beside me.

"It's a good plan," He said quietly, "I heard them discussing it."

"Oh, so now you're on his side!"

"I'm just saying. It's a pretty solid plan."

"Whatever. I almost want to stay behind, just to spite him."

"I don't think he would actually let you y/n."

"Want to bet?"

-----------------------

A/N: alright time for input!! should i make y/n stay behind, or continue on with the quest. the choice will not change the outcome of Thorin and y/n's relationship.

staying behind: more time with bard's kids, get to see legolas again, get to be a part in helping kili

going with: helping bilbo in the mountain, starting to see a shift in thorin's mood