Chapter 3

Three Months Later

Location: The Prison

Dream's POV

The sound of a single click echoed throughout my cell and a smile quickly made its way onto my face. I knew what the noise meant.

Company.

I sat myself down on the warm obsidian floor and I waited patiently for my new guest. Even if it was Sam coming to replace my clock, I was happy to see someone other than my own reflection in the water at the back of my cell.

For what felt like an eternity, I sat and stared at the lava that covered the only exit to my room, but once the heat began to dissipate, I straightened up in my spot and I watched as the magma slowly reveal the room across from me.

Squinting slightly, I looked over at the dark room on the other side of the moat of lava and I tried to adjust to the new lighting. I could make out a single figure. They were around average height, meaning it wasn't Sam.
That's when my smile grew even further.

After I waited for roughly a minute more, I heard the sound of pistons moving, indicating that the redstone contraption of the bridge was in use. I simply watched on as the figure's H/C hair shone in the glow of the scorching lava beneath the platform she walked on.

She appeared to have her arms wrapped around something as she made her way over to my cage, a bright smile on her face. Her eyes seemed to light up when they met mine and somehow my smile grew further. She was the only one that had consistently been visiting me, apart from the warden that is, but I would never not be happy to see her.

"I brought you something!"
I stood up at the sound of her voice and made my way over to meet her.
The platform she was on connected with the obsidian floor of my room right as the barrier of netherite sprung up from the ground and separated me from her, yet I was too distracted by the furry creature in her arms to notice.

We silently stared at one another as the redstone contraption slowly pulled the walkway back over the river of lava and when the sound of a single click echoed throughout the large obsidian box, I prepared myself for the blistering heat that was about to come as the lava surrounded my cell once more.

When the falling lava finally met the lake below, imprisoning us both in my obsidian cell, the netherite barrier disappeared. I didn't wait a second before walking towards her, my eyes staying locked on the animal in her arms.

"What's that?"
She quickly made her way over and then she held the furry creature out to me. Hesitantly, I accepted the ball of fur and pulled it close to my chest, giving the girl opposite me a confused look.

"It's a domestic short-haired tabby cat. I found her wandering around the remains of the community house. I know you've been getting lonely in here, so I thought she could keep you company when I'm not here."
I cautiously brought my hand up to pet the cats head and I was met with a quiet purr in response.
"Looks like she likes you."

I smiled while I lowered the cat to the ground and I gently let go of her, but she just brushed up against my leg and stayed by my side.
"I think I'll name her Patches."
I watched as the girl across from me nodded before she walked over to the back of the room and sat down.
"I think it suits her."

I smirked and went over to sit beside her, leaning back on the wall as Patches jumped up onto my lap and curled up into a ball.
"So how's life going Y/N? Anything interesting been happening?"
She shook her head as she continued looking forward.
"Not really. I think the fiancés are having relationship issues again. Quackity's gone rogue by the looks of things. He's starting his own country because Karl and Sapnap made one without him. Apparently they forgot to tell..."

She suddenly stopped talking and I turned to look at her in hopes to find a reason for her unexpected silence.
I saw nothing unusual.
She just continued to stare off into the distance.

"Y/N?"
"Hmmm?"
"You zoned out again."
I watched as her eyes widened for a moment before she laughed.
"Sorry, I haven't slept in a while. What was I saying?"
I chuckled at her response.
"About the new nation Sapnap and Karl are making without Quackity."
I watched as her eyes grew wide in realisation and I felt myself smiling at the sight.

"And George. George is involved with it all too. He's with Karl and Sapnap helping with the preparations for their new nation."
I nodded and waited for a moment before speaking.
"Have you spoken to then recently?"
"No. They can't see me."
"And why's that?"
A still silence surrounded us for a couple of minutes as the girl beside me continued to stare at the flowing magma that kept us trapped in the room.

"They'll ask questions. Questions that they don't want to know the answer to. And I feel like I don't even really know the answers myself. Things have been rather odd lately, I feel as if I'm not quite whole. As if I'm missing a critical part of me that makes me me."
I began to fidget with my fingers as I listened to her talk, nodding along with her so she knew I was listening to every word she said.

"But then again, me talking to them wouldn't exactly change anything now, would it? I would feel the same. They would have questions left unanswered, and our friendship would become nonexistent. That's the impact of a single conversation that isn't necessary. They'll be better off without me and at the end of the day, everyone here will suffer the same fate. They'll all end up completely alone like I am now. They just don't know when that time will come."

I paused at the sound of her words, quickly turning to face her again.
"Why do you always say stuff like that?"
She screwed her face up in confusion as she locked eyes with me.
"What do you mean?"

"For quite a while now you've managed to incorporate rather sad topics into the most random conversations. It kinda makes you seem depressed or something."
She shook her head and looked back towards the lava opposite us once again.
"It's because I can't feel anything else."
It was my turn to be confused.
"What?"
"Oh. You don't remember, do you?"
"What?"
She sighed and turned her whole body towards me, quickly grabbing both my hands with hers.
"I'm dead Clay. You killed me four months ago. I'm not real."

I blinked.

No one was there.

I was completely alone in my cell.

She hadn't been there.

She never had.

Putting my head in my hands, I tried to keep my breathing steady as I questioned how much of my life had just been a figment of my imagination.

That's when I felt something fluffy brush against my hands. Slowly, I lifted my head and I looked down to see a small tabby cat looking up at me with wide eyes.

Maybe I wasn't imagining it all.

It couldn't have all been fake.

Right?