Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight:

I threw on my favorite black skinny jeans and a red-plaid shirt, looking myself over in the mirror. Was this too casual? Or was it too dressy? I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I seriously need to cool it. I'm probably just looking too far into this! Maybe he didn't meant to send that emoji. Maybe he meant to send a smiley but his finger slipped or something! So why am I treating this like a date? I'm acting like such a-

My phone buzzed over by my bed and I squealed, jumping over to grab it.

I realized what I just did and stood, composing myself as I fixed my shirt. My point exactly. I'm acting like a freaking girl.

From: Vic

Hey, I'm outside your house. I'm not coming up because I didn't want to piss your dad off or anything

I stuck my phone in my pocket and made sure I looked presentable before running downstairs and bouncing out the front door. So much for 'cooling it', God dammit Kellin...

I climbed into Vic's car and offered him a small smile, which he returned with one of his own.

"Hey." Vic said, smiling.

"Hi." I said quietly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

He began to drive towards the diner as we listened to the radio. One of my favorite songs, 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls, was playing and I was quietly singing along.

"I know I never got to tell you this the other day, but you have a really good voice." He complimented, looking over at me briefly.

"Oh, thank you...I'm really not that good...you don't have to lie for my sake." I said, my cheeks warming up.

"No, seriously! You're amazing Kells, you should pursue a career in music,"

I froze for a second, turning to look at him in confusion. He looked over at me as well, mirroring my expression.

"What?" He asked.

"You...called me Kells."

He smiled and bit his lip, shrugging. He was really attractive when he bit his lip...but I need to quit thinking like that. He's straight for crying out loud! I'm just kidding myself.

"I guess I did...but it suits you. You don't mind do you...?" he trailed off, looking to me for an answer.

I shook my head, biting my own lip as my cheeks burned red.

"No, I guess not..." I finished with a small, nervous laugh.

We pulled up to the diner and climbed out, walking inside and settling down at a table near the back. I assume it was just in case any of his buddies came in and he didn't want them to see us like this, I mean, it really did seem like a date at this point.

"Hi, my names Madison and I'll be taking your order this evening! What can I get you two for drinks?" The waitress asked cheerfully.

"Just a Coke for me, how about you Kells?" Vic asked.

"Uh, Sprite is fine." I nodded.

"Okay, I'll be right back with those!"

She ran off and left me and Vic in an awkward silence. I didn't know what to say and neither did he I guess...

"So how was-"

"Is this a date?" I blurted out.

I clamped a hand over my mouth, shocked that I had asked him that out loud. Oh my God, he's gonna kick my ass!