Chapter 22

"Are you okay?" he asked once we were out of the firelight.

I frowned. "Why wouldn't I be?"

He shrugged. "Ever since you came back from the Hunt you've seemed a little different. What happened?"

I shook my head. "Nothing."

"You're lying."

I took a deep breath. "Fine. I came across my father who disappeared years ago."

"I'm assuming it wasn't a happy reunion?"

I shook my head. "He tried to kill me."

"Oh." He stopped and sat on a piece of driftwood. "Have you told anyone else this?"

I sat next to him. "No. I didn't see a point in it. It wasn't that big of a deal."

"Why tell me of all people?"

I stopped. I hadn't thought of that.

I shrugged. "I just trust you, that's all."

He nodded. "I feel the same way. For some reason, I've always trusted you."

I sighed. "I have a hard time understanding emotions," I admitted. "Why do we cling to one person but not another?"

He grinned out at the ocean, the waves pulsing in harmonious rhythm. "You're not just talking about trust anymore are you?"

I blushed and shook my head. "Why is it that everyone likes you but you don't really like anyone back?"

He looked to me. "There is one girl." He smirked. I looked away with a blush. He looked up at the dark sky. "You too?"

I shook my head, still blushing.

"Whatever," he said. "What about you? Why don't you have anyone? You're pretty enough."

My blush deepened and I shrugged. "I guess I just haven't ever really liked anyone in that way. I don't understand how it works."

We sat in silence for a long time. The waves took up the silence, rushing up the sand and back down.

Dennis stood. "You're still young. You'll find someone. It was nice talking with you."

I nodded. He held out a hand to help me up but I shook my head.

"I'll stay here a little while longer," I told him.

He grinned and left.

I laid down on the sand, staring up at the dark night sky, enjoying the serenity of the night.

What seemed to be hours later but was probably only twenty minutes, I could hear someone walking up. I looked up. It was James.

"Hello James," I said. He laid next to me.

"Is anything wrong?" he asked. "You're all alone."

"No," I replied. "I just like the peace and quiet."

He smirked. "I know what you mean. This group of misfits is a lot crazier than the Hospital ever was. They're all very relaxed and clean there. I actually came out here to be alone but I thought I'd talk to you instead." He sighed. "I won't push you anymore."

I smiled. "It's okay. I just wasn't expecting it last time. I'm sorry if I hurt you."

"No it's no problem. I shouldn't have pushed." He paused. "Does Katie still hate me?"

"Probably," I said nonchalantly. "I don't see why not."

"Thanks."

I sat up. "I didn't mean it like that."

He chuckled, his blue eyes lighting up for the first time in days. "I know." He sat up as well. His voice turned to a whisper. "Do you think Mae hated me?"

I shook my head. "I honestly don't know."

After a long pause, he said, "Let's get back to camp. It's getting late."