Chapter 9

I couldn't hear what they were saying but I could definitely read their lips. Katie didn't say anything.

Andrew said something. He was stuttering. She looked at him and over to us like "Are you serious?" Suddenly she looked shocked and disgusted and she slapped him.

"That's gonna leave a mark," I whispered to Peter. He nodded grimly.

Andrew came back over.

"Sooo," I asked, "how'd it go?"

He looked at me. "What do you think?" Then he changed tones. "Do I have a red spot on my cheek?" He lifted his fingers.

I forced myself to keep calm. "A little. It's not bad." I elbowed Peter and he nodded. Andrew nodded in understanding and turned away.

I quickly whispered to Peter, "My gosh you can see the fingers!"

"Never give relationship advice ever again," was his response.

Andrew turned back around. "Peter, you want to go upstairs for a bit?"

Peter nodded and they left.

I turned and rested my elbows on the railing. A few minutes later, Katie walked up and did the same.

"You didn't tell him to come over did you?" she asked. "Just to annoy me?"

"No," I said. "He said he liked you so I just suggested it. He set his mind to it and left."

"I don't like him," she said. "I think it's pretty obvious I don't."

"And it's REALLY obvious he likes you," I said. "Kathryn said you didn't like him..."

"Well then why did you encourage him?" she asked.

"Because he's my friend and I thought if he liked you, he should at least tell you. I didn't think it'd end that way."

"Speaking of which," she said with a grin, "did it leave a mark?"

I grinned in return. "You can see the handprint."

She laughed. "You don't know how fun that is."

"I thought you were supposed to be a healer."

"I am."

"Then why do you enjoy slapping people?"

"Just because you are something doesn't mean you have to like it," she said seriously. She sighed.

"Yeah," I said, my smile slipping. "I don't really like the idea of death and I'm a warrior."

"People from The Shadow seem to enjoy their calling," she said with a smile.

"Especially Nathan." Her smile was contagious and I began smiling.

She laughed. "No kidding."

I put a fake serious face on. "I had no idea beakers could be interesting. I thought they were all white and boring." I smiled again.

"Hey don't judge," she said. "You're part healer too, remember?"

"Oh yeah," I said thoughtfully.

"I can't wait until we get to The Hospital. I want to meet another person from there. I only know Mae right now. She's a little quiet and boring. Not to be mean or anything. I mean, I love her to death but...I just need someone a little more...lively."

"No I totally understand," I said. "I don't know what James is like so I don't know if..."

"That name sounds familiar..." She trailed off thoughtfully. Then she shook her head. "I hope it's not who I'm thinking of."

"You might've known him if he was our age," I pointed out.

She nodded. "I just hope he's not like Nathan." She laughed. Then her expression got deadly serious. "But seriously."

"I don't know. He shares YOUR DNA not mine. Do you really think he'd be like that?" I asked.

She thought for a moment. Then she shook her head.

"Well there you go."

"I have another serious question. It has to do with," her voice dropped extremely low, "boys."

"Wait hang on," I said. "Kathryn needs to be here. She's obsessed with this stuff and tells stories better." She nodded. "Ok I'll be back," I told her.

I got Kathryn. We had the conversation. Like many people, Katie thought I liked Nathan. What?? Why would I?? But overall, it was a good conversation. I made a new friend.