Chapter Four

I'm back to my house. It's too late, I'm exhausted from the trip and I just want to take a shower and sleep. I wanted to go after Alex now, but my body can't take it and she too must already be asleep. For those who have waited so many months, a few hours is nothing.

                         ○○○

The UBA is organizing a party for Robert's debut on The Morning Show and as CEO of the network and it was all last minute. The party is going to be this weekend and it starts on Monday. Robert told them this is an exaggeration. He doesn't like these things, but they convinced him. For the first time I am at his house. He has returned to the living room, where I am with a bottle of white wine in one hand and two glasses in the other.
- Petit, excuse me for this mess, it's just that I just arrived and I didn't have time to fix anything.
- Honey, don't apologize and it's not that messed up.
As he opens the bottle of wine, he tells me about his plans for The Morning Show.
- So, do we have plans?
- Of course, many!
- And what are they?
I took the glass of wine and Robert sat next to me, right next to me and I turned on my side and hugged his waist with my other arm and he did the same, giving me a kiss on the head.
- I want the TV show to be more fun, you know? I want more lightness, we don't need so serious, don't you think? And that's all I'm going to tell you, ma belle.
- You're very right! That's what you came for, for the renewal and it wasn't just on the show, in my life too.
He gave that smile that only he has, pulled me even closer and we kissed, intensely.
- meeting you was the best thing that happened to me, after so many horrible things that I've lived in these last years...
When Robert said this, I thought it was strange because for me his being widowed was the "horrible thing" he had lived through, but he used the plural.
- horrible things? What I do not know?
Robert said that everyone has problems and bad things happen to everyone. Just as I was about to answer, his phone rang. He looked at the screen and made a face like he was scared, but he still answered. He was speaking in French, so obviously I didn't understand a thing. At one point he pulled away to continue talking but I could still hear a little bit and I heard my name. Robert is very angry, I've never seen him like this. He ended the call and came back to me and kissed me like he had never kissed me before, it made me gasp for breath.
- Petit, you can doubt many things, but never doubt my love for you, listen to me, never!!! I love you like I've never loved anyone in my life!
He kissed me again and hugged me without giving me time to do or say anything now he was crying and I just wanted to calm him down.
- Hey baby, sit here. I love you too and I don't doubt it's reciprocated. I am here with you and for you, always! I don't know who you were talking to, what you were talking about, but I heard my name, what's going on?
- Petit, promise me you'll never leave me?
- I will not leave you my love! My God Robert, why are you suddenly like this?
- forget it petit, forget it.
He was still shedding tears, but he was calmer and I decided not to press him anymore because I realized it was something very uncomfortable for him.

                           ○○○

I'm ready to meet Alex again. I'm about to see her again and I'm shaking involuntarily. I go in and don't see anyone, but they say she's home. I wait a bit and she appears, more beautiful than ever, looks at me with a face of astonishment and I ran and hugged her without even thinking twice, as I waited for this moment.
- B...B...Bradley??
- How I missed you Alex!! How happy I am to see you. I brought this for you.
Alex was still without reaction, she took the bouquet of roses and sniffed them, but didn't look at me.
- Roses? They are beautiful, thank you. But why all this now?
- I came back Alex, for you, I came back!
When I spoke, I heard a male voice and he called Alex "petit". She looked at me now and her look tells me "I'm sorry, too late". He stopped talking when he saw me, looked at me suspiciously and gave her a peck. I didn't want to believe it, but it was happening and I heard it from her mouth.
- Robert, this is Bradley. Bradley this is Robert, my boyfriend.
- Nice to meet you, Bradley.
- Nice to meet you too.
She is happy, they are happy. I found it all wrong. And what could I charge Alex? She has no obligations.
- I'll let you talk...
He's very suspicious, it's the most strange atmosphere here.
- Thank you, honey.
He gave her another peck and left. We were alone again.
- And now?
- True time?
I sat down when Alex pointed to the sofa, she placed the roses in a vase of water and sat facing me.
- Thank you for the flowers, they are beautiful.
- No need to thank me, it was from the heart.
- I know.
- I think it's time we had an adult conversation.
- Bradley, please...
- Alex, no more running. We are here, you have a boyfriend and we have to sort this out. It's like ripping off a Band-Aid, that's how it has to be.
Alex looks at me and her eyes are teary until a tear falls and I wipe it away with my finger. it hurts her so much and it's my fault, will she forgive me?