Chapter 22: Epilogue

Éponine's POV

I playfully struggle to fight Enjolras' strong arms as he carries me bridal style to the bedroom. It's finally the end of the day and although it was magical, we are both quite exhausted. He drops me onto the bed as I squeal loudly. Collapsing down next to me, he sighs in content.

"So, what do you think of my mother?" he asks inquisitively.

"She's wonderful, it's so funny how much you take after her! But are you sure she's fine with... you know, us?"

Enjolras pulls me in his arms. "Of course she is. I can tell that she absolutely adores you."

"Really? You think so?"

"Ép, I know so. Who wouldn't love you?"

At this, I laugh bashfully and lightly swat his arm. "That's not true!"

"Yes it is! You captured my heart; mine of all people. If you can do that, you can charm anyone!" Enjolras retorts, hitting me back. His words make me recall a memory that causes me to laugh uncontrollably.

"What are you laughing about?" Enjolras asks, furrowing his brow. I press my lips together to stop the air bubbling in my throat, and when I finally open my mouth, the first word comes a short gasp.

"Do you remember the time when you were so protective over me?" I ask, finally able to stop giggling. "It was at the Musain, the night after I ran away. It was just you and I in the small study upstairs. You said something like 'I'll always care for you', but you said it so defiantly, I found it hilarious. It was the first promise you ever made me, remember?"

Enjolras' face turns a fierce shade of crimson, the blush spreading over his cheeks. "Oh, do you really have to remind me?" he groans, his voice muffled as he hides his face in my hair. "That was so embarrassing..."

Letting a chuckle escape my lips, I reach up to pat his golden curls. "What do you mean? It was still very sweet! What exactly was it that you said, anyway?"

"I believe my words were something like: 'I promise I'll protect and care for you'." Enjolras answers, still refusing to show his face.

"I thought so! And I still think that's extremely romantic. Not to mention poetic!"

"That's exactly what you said last time!" he exclaims. I lean up and meet his lips with mine, kissing him with all my remaining energy. His passion is clear on my mouth as he kisses me back with as much vigour.

"Well, you'll still keep that promise, right?" I pull away, yawning tiredly.

"Oh Éponine. Of course I will, you know that."

I smile, feeling safe and happy in Enjolras' arms."And you know that I'll love you always?"

"Yes. Because I love you too."

My eyelids flutter closed and I fall asleep with a smile on my lips, for I know that my Enjolras will always be there for me.

Enjolras' POV

Looking down at Éponine snoring softly, the memory of when we first met comes to my mind. On that miserably cold night, she looked small, vulnerable and weary, but still hardened, hopeful and beautiful. She was merely a peasant girl and I wouldn't have given her a second glance, but something made me look back. Perhaps it was the bruises all over her body. Perhaps it was her wide brown eyes, a tiny ember of hope alive in them that kept her going through the tough times. Or perhaps it was her undeniable but faint beauty, that I saw only at second glance, when I searched underneath all the scars and dirt.

Nevertheless, meeting Éponine was the best thing I ever did. She changed my life greatly, and taught me many things. Thanks to her, I now know what it is to be loved and how to love a person back. She brought fun and laughter into my world of seriousness and unemotion.

I yawn silently, my eyes growing tired. Closing them, I picture Éponine in my mind. Yes, she still has the physical and emotional scars from her childhood. Yes, she still holds a degree of fear and vulnerability inside her. But now the small ember of hope has become an unextinguishable flame never to be doused out again. And her beauty, inside and out, isn't so faint anymore, it simply shines through. All because I came into her life and brightened up her days.

"Good night, my dear Éponine," I whisper, kissing her head gently. "I'll love you until the end of time itself."

Éponine holds me tighter and a small, slightly teasing smile appears on her face. I can't help but grin in surprise as she answers.

"For love is everlasting."

THE END

A/N: I am so sorry this took ages to be updated, I had a bit of writer's block and also not enough internet to upload this. :( But it's here now, I hope everyone enjoyed it!

I'd like to thank everyone who voted and commented on most of the chapters. I know it's not many people but that's what kept me going and without you, I don't think I would find myself writing an epilogue!!!

Also, thanks to the people who simply read this from start to finish, I really appreciate it. I know that my writing isn't the greatest and that this story is probably filled with plotholes and whatnot, but you read it anyway. So thank you. :)

Please PM/comment if you have any tips or ideas or anything, because I'd love to hear them!

Until next time,
-jasmini- xx