Chapter 15: Back To The Jails

Enjolras' POV

"Back again, are we?" The warden raises an eyebrow, leaning back in his old wooden chair. It's the same warden as yesterday.

"Yes, but not to visit." I say to the policeman's surprise. "We have a propostion."

"Yeah? And what's that?" the officer smirks disbelievingly, continuing to shuffle around with his paperwork.

"How badly do you want to imprison Thénardier?"

"Very badly. Why do you ask?"

"We can help you arrest him."

This gets the warden's attention. His hands freeze, still clutching the papers, and he looks up at Enjolras.

"What? How?!"

"Listen, we know his ways and his habits. All you have to do is be there to arrest him." I quickly put in, making my presence known.

"Who exactly are you? How do you know all this?" the policeman questions sharply. I turn to look at Enjolras, not knowing what to do. He shrugs cluelessly.

"I-I'm Thénardier's daughter. That's why I know his ways." I confess gingerly. The policeman gasps.

"You're the Jondrette Girl!" he bellows, and instantly, several other uniformed officers appear. They drag my arms behind me and force me to the ground as I scream out in pain. I glance up at Enjolras and Musichetta and they each have a policeman on their arm, holding them back.

"Throw her into a cell!" the warden demands, and the policemen start to drag me away. In a panicked fury to stop them, I kick and scream and bite.

"Wait!" Enjolras shouts, trying to shake off his captor. "If you let her go free, we can promise you the Patron Minette!"

Everybody in the room seemed to freeze at that. I can feel the grips on my wrists and arms loosen, enough for me to escape, but I stay. After all, I want these people to trust me, so I should immediately run away from them.

The grey, dingy office goes completely silent. The only sound is my puffing and panting, and my heartbeat. I swear it's going to beat right out of my chest.

The warden, after a long moment of consideration, finally breaks the silence.

"What do you have in mind?"