12: Nobody Wants to Repeat High School, NOBODY

I stood in front of the gates of U.A. with weary shoulders and a fading will to live.

Hitoshi grabbed my arm to steady me. "Your eyebags are worse than mine," he chuckled, leading me inside, "I bet you were up all night, too excited to sleep."

I yawned into my gloved hand.

He wasn't wrong, I was up all night, but not because I was thrilled to go through high school for the second time. I've been spending my free time dissecting and studying Stain's body. I discovered that his quirk, the ability to paralyze people by ingesting their blood, was disastrously boring. I mean, a good blow to the spine can stop people from moving, and so can many forms of anesthetics. Hell, you could paralyze any animal with the adequate amount of shock. Stain was so devastatingly dull. However, thanks to him I managed to learn more about my own quirk. Maybe I should give him solid food today in gratitude.

"You're in Class 1-A, right?" Hitoshi asked.

Too tired to speak, I dipped my chin in confirmation.

"I'll be in 1-B in case you need me, I already sent you a copy of the school map, my classroom is encircled in purple."

I nodded.

He slid in front of me. "I mean it. If someone picks on you, just tell me, all right?"

I gave him a tiny smile. I truly am envious of the Other Me who had someone that cared for her, that still cares for her.

We then parted ways.

As I slugged into my classroom, there was a loud "Hah?"

I recognized the growl without finding the face, but I was too exhausted for formalities, so I trudged over to my seat and plopped down on my desk.

"Oy, don't ignore—"

My parasympathetic nervous system took over.

Surviving on caffeine, sugar and fumes, I'm used to sleeping for three hours a day. In the past, either mom or dad would drag me out of my workshop and into my bedroom. But now, I only have S.I.S.A.'s hourly reminders to stretch and rest my mind. I rarely follow these reminders though, and my A.I. wouldn't go against my orders. I was free to experiment, read, study and build from morning to night and night to morning. I have always dreamed of this freedom since childhood, but my heart just feels empty. Now, I rest my mind and hope for an uneventful sleep before classes begin.

My eyes shot open, my fingers clawed onto something.

"Um ... "

I raised my head and saw Momo Yaoyorozu looking down at me wide-eyed.

I glanced onto my hand, it was holding onto her wrist. No wonder I woke up with a spike of adrenaline, someone tried to touch me while I was unconscious.

I let her go. "What is it?"

"I-I'm sorry to disturb your nap but Mr. Aizawa told us to put on our PE uniforms and meet outside."

I blinked. The others were already walking out the door.

"I see," I said, standing up, "Thanks for notifying me."

"It was my ..."

I walked past her.

"... pleasure."

When given the choice, I'd rather not strip down to my underwear in front of an audience, even if they're girls, so I changed inside a restroom stall. I tailored my uniforms myself so my clothes are reinforced with an ultra-thin exoskeleton that extends to the tips of my gloves and to the toes of my boots.