9: Meet This Pair of Totally-not-in-love Childhood Friends

I lost consciousness while touching up Other Me's costume. I woke up groggy and climbed back to the beach for some fresh air. I saw mouse-boy again. He was dragging a 50-kg worth of scrap metal through the sand. Annoyed, I decided to approach him.

"What the hell are you doing?"

He screamed, letting go of the junk and falling backward on his butt. He was shirtless and completely soaked in sweat, seeing sand stuck to his skin gave me goosebumps.

He looked up at me. "Y-you're that girl!"

I narrowed my eyes and he squeaked. "I'm sorry if I ... I disturbed you, I was t-t-train—"

"Do you have a brain lesion?"

"W-what?"

"I asked if you have a brain lesion. Or do you have an anxiety disorder?"

He blinked, confused.

"You keep stuttering," I stated the obvious. "It's all right, my father had a similar speech impediment when he was a child."

"Oh! No, I ... you just surprised me is all ... "

I crossed my arms. "Well? What are you doing here so late at night?"

"Actually ... it's actually four in the morning."

I checked my watch. Crapballs. I got too carried away and lost track.

"I was training like I always do ... if you don't mind me asking—"

"I do," I hissed back. But he recoiled and I decided to play nice just this once. I explained that I cleaned the beach and salvaged whatever seemed useful. His eyes widened with glee at that.

"Cleaning up is also part of my training." Strength-building, I assumed, noting his well-defined rectus abdominis muscle. He was quite muscular for a little guy.

"It's nice to know there are people out there who are concerned for the environment, though it's sad to see not much has changed—oh! Not that your efforts are useless—I mean—ah ... " He then began mumbling madly, cheeks turning redder each passing second. I've been bullied since childhood for my habit of thinking out loud nonstop when nervous. Seeing him do it, I understood why the other kids thought me vexatious.

"I'm not offended," I cut him off after realizing he wasn't going to stop unless I made him. "But I do find use in most of the appliances here. I'd appreciate it if you didn't handle them like a neanderthal."

"I understand! Sorry, I'll be more careful."

"Good." Before I could leave, he rose to his feet, dusting his palms on his green pants.

He held out his hand. "I realize we may run into each other more often so, um, my name is Izuku Midoriya."

I stared at his hand but I did not take it.

"A-anyway, what's your name?"

I debated whether to give him my name or not. Eventually, I introduced myself, finally shaking his disgustingly moist hand. "You're fifteen, right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"I'm only fifteen, Izuku."

His face flashed hot-red again. It's impolite to refer to someone you recently met by their given name, but the reactions they give me provided great entertainment. Besides, this Izuku boy was ... interesting.

"Since you're my age and training like this, I guess you're also applying for U.A."

"Yes—"

"What's your quirk?"