26: His Side: 002

Subject 002 knew that he was not born but created. Unlike other humans, he didn't come from an egg and a sperm, but from hair and blood specimens. He was brought into the world whole and already at the age of a young man. He knew all this but did not comprehend its significance, all that he understood was that he was made by his mother and that he owed everything to her.

She taught him many things, like how the sun was actually a "pathetic, little yellow star" and that the appendix was not a vestigial organ. She trained him in combat and first aid. She also played games with him when she was free.

To the naive homunculus who had no one else, his mother was everything to him.

Even if he were to live the rest of his days inside the bunker, he didn't mind as long as she always came home to greet him, but to say that he wasn't curious about the world beyond his home would be a lie. His mother liked that about him though.

You patted his head with a tiny smile. "It's fine if you want to leave and see for yourself. Some things can only be appreciated when seen with your own eyes."

He loved it most when mother complimented him.

At that time, he didn't care about the outside world, he only wanted to feel her gentle hand on his hair.

He lost interest in anything else. He worked hard in his training and in his studies so that she would always tell him he was a good boy.

And so, for the first few weeks of his life, he never left the bunker on his own accord–the first time he did was during the sports festival at his mother's school.

Mother called him Two, but in the world of the mediocre (the outside), he was known as "Jiro Nakamura." A simple name that any child could have.

He wore a plain t-shirt and shorts that any boy could wear and managed to get into the arena to watch his mother.

'As expected,' he thought giddily as he watched you defeat opponent after opponent, 'no one can compare to mama.'

No one was a better observer than him, that's why he notified 001 of your condition and hurried to prepare for your injection. You complimented him for his fast work and offered a reward.

Understanding your weakness, he decided to hold his request when you were at most vulnerable: during dessert.

"Will you play video games with me then?" He left his seat and knelt down in front of you, laying his hands atop your lap.

You paused from eating and glanced down on his puppy eyes with a quirked brow. "Is that it?"

He whined and you chuckled, patting his head.

He leaned into your touch.

"I'm jealous of your simple pleasures. Fine. We can play after dessert."

Ah, yes. Nothing can compare to having his mother's attention.

If possible he wanted nothing more than to spend their days together in the bunker eating and playing. But his mother hated that kind of boring routine so he will stick to watching her as much as he can from afar–that was the plan, anyway.

"I wanted to see mama in her hero suit," Jiro grumbled as he strolled through the city.

"Quit complaining," 001 said through his earpiece, "your job is to look after Hitoshi Shinso."

"Tsch."

"Don't give me that attitude. If you hate it so much then tell her."

Jiro stayed quiet. As much as he hated looking at anyone that wasn't you, he hated disappointing you more. The very thought of your upset expression made him physically ill.