5: Touch Me and I'll Kick Your Face Off

The cat has stopped talking, I still have no clue how to use my quirk, and I'm yet to see my parents in the house.

On the bright side, I resumed school today. I doubt the teachers would be much help to me but it would be nice to not spend most of the day inside that golden cage bedroom.

"Have a lovely school day, milady." The chauffeur held the door.

"Thank you." I slung the standard school bag over my back.

The school was small—way smaller than the estate, and the entire walk towards homeroom students would bend between themselves and whisper. I ignored them and kept scratching my arms. I didn't mind uniforms, as a matter of fact I agree with them most of the time (one less decision to make in the morning) but the cloth was poorly made.

The typical teacherless ruckus stopped when I stepped inside the classroom and everyone gawked at me. I ignored them and searched. When I spotted Hitoshi with his head down and reading a book, unaware of the sudden silence, I grinned and crept up behind him.

I robbed an earphone from his ear and his head snapped towards me.

"Hey there, stranger" Smooth jazz played softly.

He recovered with a small frown, "Are you supposed to be here?"

"Good morning to you too" I returned the earphone and put my bag on the desk next to his. Amazing how so many things change but your classroom setting remains the same. Maybe that's why so many people grow up stupid.

"Don't you have therapy?"

"Do I look like I do?"

"It's only been a week."

I laughed, "I know. I'm amazing." When his expression didn't change, I sighed and plopped down on my chair. "My recovery was fast, I know, but the doctor cleared me. I am more or less in optimal physical health."

He seemed unconvinced at first, then he exhaled and finally broke into a smile. God, he had such a nice smile. My fingers twitched with the need to draw his face. Odd.

The teacher arrived a second later. He did a double take when he saw me, but when I nodded at him he looked away and cleared his throat. "Good morning, everyone. It seems like we have Miss [Last Name] back. Please treat her kindly." Then he resumed with the day's lecture. What a warm welcome.

I exchanged glances with Hitoshi. He seemed concerned. I shrugged.

Time slowed down for me every time I paid attention to any teacher. At some point, I opened a newly bought notebook and started drawing on the lined pages. I drew the blueprint for my turbo bungee bracelet. When I was eight, I dislocated a shoulder testing it out. How I miss those carefree days.

"[Name]!" Hitoshi whispered and I blinked. He pointed his chin forward. A fortysomething woman her scowl fixated on me. Wow. I didn't even realize we changed teachers already.

"Miss [Last Name]. She spat my last name like it was dirt, "If you would be so kind as to not doodle in my class." A tingling in my spine told me this was not the first time she called Other Me out. "Just because you decided to jump off the roof doesn't mean you get free pass on everything, girl."

Okay.

Hitoshi seethed next to me and was about ready to say something, but I was angry enough on my own.

"I wasn't doodling." I said.

Her hand froze mid-air before it could reach the board. Hitoshi's jaw hung open and I could hear the silent gasps of the students around me.