3: From Survivor to Aspiring Hero in the Blink of an Eye

Despite the irritating itching in my chest, I told him about the alleged amnesia, which was better than "Yeah, your girlfriend? She's gone. I'm the soul of a different version of her from an alternate reality where my family was hunted down because my dad and I were mutated by extraterrestrial rocks!"

I know that he needs to learn the truth someday. But we will cross that bridge when we get there. For now, a lie will have to suffice.

He stood there, quiet and face unreadable.

"Um, I ... " I wrung my hands together. "I only know my name and a few things the doctor said. I have no idea who you are ... I'm sorry."

He blinked. His expression wrinkled with minor disbelief, then he sighed as he touched his nape.

"Memory loss, I see. Falling off a three-story building and surviving was a miracle enough, I'm glad you're awake." He forced a tight smile, but something told me he meant half of it.

He held out his hand, "I'm Hitoshi Shinsou. We've been friends since grade school and we still attend the same middle school."

"Hee-toh-shi Shihn-sou" I repeated to myself. My pronunciation is flawless, the accent is native. Even though the consciousness is different, the brain and body are remarkable.

I smiled at him. "Nice to meet you"

"Sorry for hugging you all of a sudden. Must've been a shock."

"Don't worry about it. By the way, Hitoshi—"

His cheeks flushed.

"Something wrong?"

"It's just that," He chuckled, "It's been a while since I've heard you say my name. I've waited all this time, hoping, but now that I heard your voice it's ... it's oddly unsettling ... in a good way."

I didn't like sappy stuff, but his sincerity was hard to deny. "Say, how long have we been together?"

He choked and shot back with wide eyes, "What?"

"How long have you been my boyfriend?"

"I'm not ... I'm not your boyfriend," He murmured with what sounded like a tinge of regret.

"Oh," was all I could say. The way he acted seemed romantic enough to me. Though then again what did I know? I preferred my inventions over playing pretend, research over human relationships.

Maybe displays of affection between friends have changed, or simply different here.

I switched topics, "Do you know what my quirk is?"

"That's ... " He refused to meet my gaze, "I don't know what to tell you."

"It seems to be a big deal, but the doctor left before I could ask him."

"It was ... you ... " He took a deep breath. "If it was something bad, do you still want to find out?"

"I'm afraid I don't get what you mean."

"I don't know if this is the right thing to do considering your current state, but you ... you never liked your quirk. That's what you told me. You never really used it in front of me either, so I only have your word to go by. You said you wished you were born quirkless instead."

How funny. Both versions of me wanted to be muggles. Nevertheless, the circumstances have changed. I can't keep wishing.

"But you know," His tone shifted into a lighter feeling and he gazed at me with a warm look "You also said that your quirk wouldn't stop you, that no matter what you'll be a hero that will help people."