6: His Side: HITOSHI SHINSO

To clarify, when I use an official character's capitalized full name as the chapter title it means the chapter is going to be told in his or her perspective but it is written in the second person point of view.

_____________________________

You look good in black, Hitoshi declares in his head, but it is weird.

He met up with Mr. Tanaka, asked him how Mrs. Tanaka was doing, picked up his mother's package and bade goodbye. Now on his way back to the arcade, Hitoshi thinks about you in your little black dress.

He saw your collarbone. In the past it would have been physically impossible to get you into something that showed your shoulders, which made him both sad and happy. He was sad because you never gave yourself enough credit. He was happy because the selfish side of him didn't want anyone ogling you and taking you away.

Because who wouldn't want you for themselves?

You're adorable. Maybe he's biased because you're his sweet kitten, his best friend. Maybe his judgment is clouded because not a day goes by without him thinking you are beautiful ...

But he can't shake this feeling of doubt. You woke up, a miracle for which he will never stop thanking his lucky stars, but there was something different. You changed. Amnesia does that to someone, people would say, but it's a different change, Hitoshi argues. If people were works of art, then looking at you is like looking at a completely different painting instead of a blank slate.

Is it normal for amnesiacs to be so ... proactive?

The old you was, for lack of better term, timid, with soft eyes and a tentative smile. This new you is the opposite. You had this spark in you. A spark that shone through when you made a veteran-slash-terror physics teacher look stupid with a smile on your face.

Hitoshi chuckles ruefully.

He hates himself for thinking like this, it sounded like he's being ungrateful, but he misses the old you. He misses the way you blushed when you said his name, the way your eyes lose a shade lighter when you space out, and your smile? God. Your smile was warm and kind, and if it weren't for your Quirk Hitoshi is certain you'd have more friends. (Better friends, he thinks, friends who don't dream of you kissing him under the sheets.)

His train of thought is disturbed by one guy dragging two more to the escalator. "No way, man, I don't believe you. Lilith's the sixth demon. Not even Kirishima could get past that level."

Hitoshi watches them wrestle each other.

"I'm telling you, some chick just beat Lady Lilith in Devil's Torment!"

Maybe it's you, he laughs at his own joke. Then he shakes his head and steps on the escalator.

***

"Hey, hey wait!"

Hitoshi doesn't have to think about it. He steps forward, eyes narrowing. Even as children you had this weird way of attracting troublesome people, from manipulative girls to middle-aged perverts.

"Look, I ... uh, hold on" Blondie crouches down, panting. "Look, I wanted to apologize. I didn't mean to come off ... well, rapey. I just thought you were really cute. I'm sorry for stepping out of line." He straightens then looks at Hitoshi, "Are you her boyfriend? Listen man, I'm really sorry for hitting on her." He reaches out a hand and Hitoshi is too angry to enjoy being mistaken for your boyfriend.

You sigh and cross your arms, "Apology accepted. Now go away."

"All right, message definitely received." Blondie laughs "And don't worry, I already erased your underwear from memory."