1: The Beginning of Your Origin Story

NOTE: Fourteen of the first few chapters will be written in the first POV to establish Y/N's character and background (2 chapters, the His Side parts, are written in the second POV but from the perspective of a different character), but starting at chapter 17, everything will be written in the second POV. Enjoy!

We were too reckless. Two years of no disturbance and we became too relaxed.

Rain pierced the lake like a storm of angry bullets. The distant shouting of the people we used to call neighbors echoed throughout the woods. My knees buckled beneath me as I struggled to keep up with dad as we dashed past the trees.

Everything happened so fast. One minute we were eating by the dock, next thing I know, there was a gunshot somewhere, then a splash, and next thing I knew dad had heaved me to my feet. Behind us, mom's blood scattered like little snakes swimming in the water.

I drew out my bow, ready to fight back, but dad already pulled me to the opposite direction.

More gunshots fired.

Dad's grip on my wrist tightened. "Over here." He let go and walked towards a rock formation. He knelt down and brushed away the dead leaves. "Help me dig this up"

We stopped momentarily when we uncovered something metal. A handle.

We kept digging until we found the door. Round and heavy, like a manhole cover, and just big enough to fit a grown man. It would lead us back to the cabin.

"C'mon." Dad grabbed the handle and lifted the door, arms shaking. "Careful. Don't fall down"

I nodded and scrambled down the hole, clutching on the metal rods of the stairs like my life depended on it. I had to consciously breathe as I climbed down, nearly slipping midway. Two years of training and I'm a shaking mess when it counts. Pathetic.

The distant voices were growing louder by the second.

When I reached the ground, dad hurried inside and twisted the wheel on the door, locking the entrance.

The lights flickered to life with each step through the tunnel.

I talked, "We're almost there, we just need to activate the anti-infantry security measures—"

"No."

I stopped. I turned and saw dad leaning on the wall. His body folded over, one arm covered his side.

I ran over to investigate. A tiny blackhole taunted me from his right abdomen, a scarlet stain spread throughout his jacket. He's been shot, the idiot!

"Come on, the lab is only a few feet away." I offered my shoulder but he stayed on the floor.

"Dad, we need to hurry!"

"It's useless." He coughed "... generator ... The generator stopped working a month ago, I ... I tried everything but the system's down. If we went to that cabin ... we'll both die."

"Then let's swipe a first aid kit and patch you up, I'll grab the guns and supplies while you hide here then we—"

"You're rambling. Been a while since I've seen you panic," He laughed. Then he groaned, reeling over his wound.

"This isn't funny."

"No, it's not. But you're letting your emotions ... uh ... you're too frenzied. This isn't like you." Of course not. What did he expect from his fifteen-year-old daughter?

The unwanted image of my mother popped inside my mind. Body falling in the lake, clothes drenched in red.

I have witnessed more people die before my eyes than I have fingers on my hands. After the fourth death (a neighbor who could manipulate plants), I learned to not care, for the sake of sanity. But my mom's death? Nothing could have prepared me for that. I was about to take a bite from my sandwich when her blood sprayed all over me. Even with the downpour we just ran through, mom's blood still lingered in my hair and clothes.

This is all my fault. If I didn't ask dad to come investigate that stupid rock we wouldn't be in this mess. Even though life wasn't perfect, at least we would've been normal. Now, Mom's gone. Dad and I are stuck in this glorified tin can and I know my force field won't stand a chance against a bullet.

Hearing my name pulled me back to the current situation.

I blinked and turned to my dad. His expression was tight, but I could see the white light glimmer in his moist eyes. "Calm down, kiddo." Scientists should never lose to their emotions.That's what he used to say whenever I cried over my failed experiments.

" ... Okay." I took a deep breath and rolled my shoulders. "What's the plan?" No reply.

A dark cloud covered his face. My gut twisted in suspicion. There was a voice inside my head, a logical voice. I hated that voice, it could be needlessly cruel but was often correct. That voice told me I would be leaving this place alone, and the longer I stared at my father, the more I feared the voice was right.

"I'm bleeding too much and I'm sure ... I don't have much time so ... so ... " He was surprisingly tough for an engineer. How long has he been hiding that wound without letting me find out?

"It's okay," I said. "It's okay. I'm gonna—" My fingers curled tightly around my bow "—I'm gonna patch you up and we can get out of here together." I talked too fast, I was panicking. "I'll use my force field to protect us from gunfire or any—"

"How sure are you your force field can withstand what they throw at us?" His question shut me up instantly. He wheezed before continuing, "Or a punch from someone bigger than me? Or ... or a wild animal's claws?" His voice seemed to boom in this narrow space. We already knew the answer. In the comic books force fields are fortified, they could protect the user from most attacks. But generating a single sphere the size of a bowling ball made me sweat more than running five miles. I've put it to the test many times only to be met with disappointment.

"Over here! I told you I saw them come here!" A lyncher exclaimed from above. The footsteps rushed back and they pounded on the door.

"Do you think your shield can stop them from busting through that door?" Dad asked with a wry grin. Then he frowned, "I'm not going to risk you dying, too" He waved for me to come closer. I ignored him and started to walk away. I'm getting in that cabin, I'm getting all our supplies and we're leaving this place.

"Kid, I ... I'm losing a lot of blood here. I'm going to die either way so ... so just come over here and ... let your dad do his job"

"No!" I yelled, "I just lost mom. You say you don't want me dead too, well, the feeling's mutual. I'm not leaving you behind"

Dad sighed. He groaned as he pushed himself up, keeping a firm hand over his wound. He limped towards me. I sniffed, not bothering to shake off his palm on my shoulder.

"Kiddo," He muttered.

"No ... "

"You know I can only do it once every three days."

"Then let me help you, let me cover up that wound so you'll join me after three days." I refused to look him in the eye.

"With or without first aid, we both know that I won't last longer than a day here," He said, referring to the merciless pounding against the door, "It's only a matter of time ... before they use explosives ..."

I caught his arms to steady him.

"No parent wants their kid to die, especially not when they could save them, you know that, right?"

I finally faced him, reluctantly nodding. I wish things were different, I wish I never asked him to investigate that meteorite.

"Never forget who you are and what you can do. Whatever happens," He coughed into his hand, but he continued, "Whatever happens, you always move forward."

Dad gave me one final smile then leaned in, "I love you, kiddo. Stay strong." He pressed a kiss on my forehead.

My breath hitched. I couldn't move. My father collapsed before me. A force pulled at my brain, tearing it apart. I screamed. Then there was only darkness.