Chapter Five

After leaving "The Bean", Ross drove us over to the Santa Monica Pier by my house. The car ride was short with some awkward small talk and uncomfortable laughter, but nonetheless, I rode in a car with fucking Ross Lynch to go out to eat with him. 

Now how many people can say that?

Ross pulled up into the parking lot of the pier and got out, rushing around to my side of the car to open it for me before I got the chance. He opened the door for me and held out his hand so I could grab it as I stepped out. I thanked him and he waved me off. He put his hand on the small of my back as he started to lead us toward the steps up to the pier.

There were only about ten cars or so in the lot, as it was a Tuesday night. I looked to the side and looked at the pier. At night it's lit up by the ferris wheel along with the game booths and roller coasters. I loved the pier. 

From here, my house was only a ten minute walk. Tammy and I used to sneak out of my house when we would have sleepovers and use my allowance to get tickets to ride the ferris wheel. Long story short, my mom noticed we were gone one night and that's why there are now locks on all of the windows in our house, and all of the doors in my house, including my bedroom door.

"Alright," Ross said, snapping me out of my thoughts. We walked up the steps and started to stroll down the boardwalk. "So I know I said I was taking you out to eat," he glanced at the watch on his wrist. "But it's a little late for dinner, it's not too late for dessert, though if you're up for the best sundae around."

"I'm always up for the best sundae around," I joked. In all honesty, I wasn't in the mood for a meal. I really only wanted ice cream and sweets. This night keeps getting better and better. What's next?

"I had a feeling you might be," Ross said smiling. "You seem like that kind of girl."

"And what kind of a girl would that be?" I asked playfully, looking at him and cocking an eyebrow up. 

Ross shrugged and stuffed his hands into the front pockets of his jeans. "The chill kind. You know, the one who goes with the flow, doesn't care if plans change." 

I bobbed my head from side to side and laughed. "That's pretty much who I am, I guess. Never been much of a complainer. I mean, unless you take my food. You won't hear the end of my complaining if you do." Oh god, why did I have to say that? He's gonna think I'm a total dork now. Shit. Come on, Avery. Why do you have to fuck up everything. 

My theory of Ross thinking I was a dork were quickly proven wrong as he threw his head back and let out a throaty laugh. "Talented, pretty and funny. You're the total package," Ross said looking at me. I glanced at him and felt my face heat up. He smiled at me and I returned it, ducking my head down as I tried to control my facial coloring. 

Ross started to laugh. "Don't cover your face. You shouldn't hide something that beautiful."

I lifted my head up and looked at him, my smile widening. "Well don't you have a way with words, Mr. Charmer." We continued to walk down the board walk and I felt the wind whip through my hair, tousling my once perfect curled hair. No one seemed to take notice of us which I was internally grateful for as I was literally living every girls dream right now and I didn't want it to stop.

Ross shrugged and smiled. "Just telling the truth."

"Yeah, okay," I said, rolling my eyes. I internally hit myself as I completely shut down his compliment toward me. I thought I grew out of doing that, but fuck me, it had to show up again the night Ross Lynch decides to come into my life. 

"Well, here we are," Ross said, stopping us in front of the same ice cream shop my father and I used to go to when I was little. 

"Oh, I love Mama Bootsy's!" I exclaimed, smiling.