will you go out with me?

It was officially summer. Sophomore year had finally ended.

Shawn was at his house, sitting on the couch with Gavin. Gavin was texting Mia while Shawn was rolling a blunt.

He sighs and looks over at Gavin. "I gotta question."

Gavin turns his phone off and nods his head. "Aight? What's up?"

"You think..." Shawn clears his throat, "You think Jaxon likes me?"

Gavin raises his eyebrows and sits up on the couch. "What did you just ask me?"

"You think he likes me?"

"Seriously? When have you ever had a crush like this on a dude before? Are you deadass?"

"Fuck off." Shawn places the blunt between his lips.

"No, seriously? When's the last time you've actually wanted to be with someone? And not for sex?"

Shawn rolls his eyes and takes a drag from his blunt. "Never mind. Forget I fuckin' asked."

"I-Look, My fault. Damn, you're like...Serious, serious."

Shawn shrugs. "Yeah. I am."

"I mean. I dunno. I've only hung out with the kid like...Once or twice and he doesn't even think to look my way."

"Probably cause you're an asshole."

"I just don't wanna see you get hurt. Like last time? Remember Timothy?"

"So do you think he likes me?" Shawn sits up and leans his elbows against his legs to prop himself up. "I mean, I don't wanna get fucking rejected that'd be so embarrassing."

Gavin scoffs. "Yeah, don't wanna damage your poor ego, huh? We should ask Mia. They're best friends, she knows that kid like the back of her hand."

"Invite her over."

*
Gavin grants Shawn's wish and invites Mia over. Luckily it wasn't out of her way as she literally lived across the street.

Mia grabs a chip and smiles. "So what's up? You called me over to hang? Can we invite Jaxon?"

"No." Shawn sets his beer down and takes a seat. "I need to talk to you."

"Me?" Mia furrows her brows and sits up, "Okay...What about?"

"Jaxon."

"Mhm.."

Shawn crosses his arms and sighs. "Do you...Do you think he likes me? We hang out a lot but he's kind of hard to keep up with."

Mia raises both her hands. She shakes her head, "Uh, oh. This is best friend territory. I can't speak on it."

"Come on, Mia. I'm asking so I know what I'm getting myself into when I ask him out."

Mia widens her eyes. "Ask him out? When!?"

"Like...Later today when we hang out."

"Ahh! Okay well...You didn't hear it from me but he does like you. He's literally had a crush on you since we first moved here but...He's not a bold person, he won't make the first move."

"Hm..."

"But you didn't hear it from me."

**
Jaxon walks down the stairs and looks over at his parents. "Hey. Uhm, Mia invited me over to her house. I was wondering if I was allowed to go?"

Jaxon's mother looks up, shrugging. "Is all your homework done?"

"Mhm. I finished it about an hour ago."

Kevin shrugs his shoulders. "I don't see why not. Have fun."

Jaxon smiles. "Okay. I'm gonna go upstairs and get ready."

Jaxon goes into his closet to find something to wear. He was just going to Shawn's house to hang out but his crush had developed and he wants to look good.

He grabs a nice pair of pants before opening his dresser to look through his shirts. He groans when he doesn't see anything he likes.

He tries on a bunch of different shirts, standing in the mirror. He rolls his eyes before he decides on a hoodie. He slips on his shoes when he hears his phone buzzing.

**
"You want one?"

Jaxon looks up at the beer in Shawn's hand and shakes his head. "Uh, I'm okay."

Shawn nods and places the second one back down. He walks back over to Jaxon, sitting down on the couch.

"So, where do your parents think you are?"

Jaxon smiles a little. "Mia's house. They're convinced we have a thing for each other."

"Well, do you?" Shawn smirks up at him.

Jaxon giggles and shakes his head. "Yeah, maybe in an alternate universe. She's strictly best friend."

"Good to know," Shawn sighs and sits back.

Jaxon looks down at the couch, noticing a very small tear on one of the cushions. "Hey...Shawn? I have a question."

Shawn looks over and nods. "What's up?"

"So like...I don't wanna sound rude or anything but...Why do you like me?" Jaxon widens his eyes, "Uh...Not like...like me, like me...But, you always wanna hang out with me. And I'm just like...The complete opposite of you."

"How so? I think we have a lot in common."

"I...I don't drink or smoke. I hate parties. You hate school but I love it-."

"Jaxon, you know we're allowed to have differences, right? If we were too alike I'd probably treat you like Gavin."

"I know but...I feel like I'm just so boring."

Shawn chuckles and shakes his head. "I'd disagree. You're funny as fuck. And I really enjoy talking to you. You have all that theory-mind-shit going on. I could talk to you for hours."

"Really?"

"Mhm. I like how your mind works. And you're also hella talented. I think we nicely balance each other out."

Jaxon smiles. "Oh...Okay. Maybe I'm dumb."

"No, I think this is just new territory for you. Trust me, I don't get why you hang out with me. I felt the exact same way."

"Really? I think you're super nice and dependent. And all the outer shell, 'bad boy facade' is wiped away and you're the sweetest person I've ever met. And you're also, really funny. And I like how expressive you are."

"Wow, bad boy facade."

"Mhm. Cause under all of this," Jaxon waves his hand in Shawn's face. "You're a sweetheart and the kindest most selfless person."

Shawn smiles and takes a sip from his beer before clearing his throat. "Can I ask you a question, now?"

"Yeah." Jaxon smiles, feeling more confident and comfortable.

"Wanna go out with me?"

**