if you don't want me don't have me

little angst moment for our favorite couple >:( aka shawn's abandonment issues being exposed

                                                *  *   *

It felt like it was a dream for Jaxon. Having his first kiss and being in love. Being told he's loved. Telling someone he loves them. Losing his virginity. Feeling finally free in his own skin. Comfortable with his partner.

Jaxon was sitting on Shawn's couch, a water bottle in his hands. Shawn had excused himself to the bathroom during their movie. He returns back, sitting down on the couch. Jaxon notices the considerable distance between them, scooting over to cuddle up with him.

"Hey, babe," Jaxon began.

"Hm?" Shawn's response was distant, his attention elsewhere.

"My friend Kai has a basketball game on Friday. I was wondering if you'd wanna accompany me? It should be fun even though I have zero clue how basketball works." He smiles.

Shawn's reaction was not what Jaxon expected. The hesitation, the evasion—it spoke volumes. "Uh," Shawn mumbled, his body language tense. "Yeah, I don't know. I'll have to see."

Jaxon's brows furrowed slightly. "Do you already have plans?"

"I didn't say that," Shawn says back, a little too quickly. He shakes his head, taking a deep breath. "I just have to see if I'm free."

"Oh...Okay." Jaxon sits back against the couch. He hesitates before reaching out to grab Shawn's arm. "Lay back with me."

Shawn gently pulls his arm away. "I'm chillin'."

Jaxon watches Shawn reach forward to the coffee table, grabbing his pack of cigarettes. He quickly places one in his mouth, lights it, and takes a drag.

It wasn't unusual. Yes, Shawn was working on quitting. Yes, he still smoked one or two a day. What was weird was the way he was acting.

Jaxon decides not to push it, returning his attention to the movie playing.

                                            *  *  *

Jaxon was sitting in the bleachers, scanning the gym for Shawn. He'd agreed to attend the basketball game with Jaxon the next day. Now, it was Friday, and there was no sight of him.

Jaxon pulls his phone from his back pocket, quickly sending off a text to Shawn.

To s :
hey baby. r u here yet?

Followed by another.

To s :
i'm waiting for u. love u

After staring at his phone for a moment, he redirected his attention when he heard the game starting. After fifteen minutes, he sees Shawn climbing the bleachers, taking a seat next to him without uttering a word.

Jaxon looks over, a smile spreading across his face. "You made it!"

"Yeah," Shawn responded, leaning forward. "Which one is Kai again?"

Jaxon points out his friend, her curly held up in a ponytail. "She's number twelve."

-

After the game, an overjoyed Kai rushes over to hug Jaxon after their win. "I'm glad you made it!" She turned to Shawn, who was visibly itching for a cigarette. "Nice to meet you!"

"You too," he muttered. He leans down towards Jaxon. "Can we go?" he whispers.

Jaxon looks up at him. "Are you okay-."