we can't be together

Today was the day of Shawn and Jaxon's first date. Shawn had made a reservation at a small and reserved restaurant.

It was a Saturday and Jaxon had told his parents he was going out to dinner with Mia, in which they asked if the two were making things 'official'.

Jaxon was sat at his desk. He grabs a small shoebox that was under his desk where he kept his makeup. He looks up at himself in the mirror and blushes.

what're you doing? you can't go out with him.

Jaxon clears his throat and closes the shoebox when he hears his mom walking into the room.

"Hi, love."

Jaxon smiles and looks over at her. "Hey."

"So Mia? Are you guys going out with a group or...Just you two?"

Jaxon groans. "Mom-."

"I know...I know. I'm just asking because...Your father and I were just...Wondering about you."

"Wondering what?"

"Just things. About who you are and what you are. You don't bring girls over or...Talk about them. And...Quite frankly you're a lot more...Flamboyant than others."

Jaxon blushes and turns in his seat. "I don't know what you want me to say?"

"Nothing, nothing, honey. I'm just really glad you're...Taking a girl out...Even if she's the one picking you up."

Jaxon suddenly feels on the edge of a panic attack. "Okay."

"Sorry. I don't mean to poke and pry. I'll let you finish getting ready."

Jaxon doesn't respond as his mom walks out of his room. He gets up and closes the door before leaning his head against it. He can feel his eyes filling up with tears.

**
Shawn was sitting in his car, waiting for Jaxon. He had left an hour later than planned as Jaxon texted saying he needed some more time.

But now Shawn had been sitting in his car for almost an hour, waiting for Jaxon's text.

Shawn starts to get a little irritated and he grabs his phone to call Jaxon. The phone rings a few times before Jaxon picks up.

"Hello?"

Jaxon gulps. "I uh...I can't make it, I'm sorry. I-...I can't. I'm so sorry I should've called you."

Shawn notices the tone of Jaxon's voice. "Jaxon? What the fuck is going on?"

Jaxon takes in a deep breath. Shawn frowns and sits back in his car. "Are you at home?"

"Mhm."

"I'm gonna come get you, okay? I'll cancel the reservation and we can just talk, alright? It's gonna be okay."

"Uh, okay."

Shawn was at Jaxon's house within ten minutes. Jaxon grabs his phone and walks downstairs. He opens the front door, walking over to Shawn's car with tears in his eyes.

He opens the passenger side and sees a bouquet of roses. He takes in a small breath before he starts sobbing.

Shawn furrows his brows and reaches out. "Hey...It's okay. Get in, Jax."

Jaxon gets in the car, setting the roses down in his lap before bringing his hands up to cover his face. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?" Shawn puts the car in reverse and begins driving to a small secluded parking lot. He and Gavin would go there sometimes to smoke.

"I...I'm sorry I flaked on you and-...I made you wait."

Shawn shakes his head. "It's alright."

The drive to the lot only took five minutes and by then Jaxon had cried all of his makeup off.

Shawn parks the car, unbuckling himself before turning to completely face Jaxon. "Will you please tell me what's going on? I'm worried."

"I-...We can't do this." Jaxon hiccups.

"Do what?"

"Like...Go on dates and...Like each other."

"Why's that? Is it...Me?"

Jaxon's eyebrows draw together. "No! Of course not...Y-You're amazing but...I can't. My parents will never understand."

"Jaxon..."

"I'm not even out yet. You shouldn't waste your time on someone who can't even admit to their family that they're gay."

"Woah, slow down. You think I won't date you cause you're not out yet? Why would you say that?"

"I've just heard how hard it is to be with someone who's closeted. My mom literally told me she was relieved I was going out with Mia to dinner."

Shawn sits up and reaches over to grab Jaxon's hand.

"I don't care if you're not out yet. I understand why you aren't. Unaccepting parents fucking sucks and I wouldn't force you to do something you're not ready for."

Jaxon sniffs and looks down at Shawn's hand.

"I really, really like you. And I don't want you to look down upon yourself because you're not in a place where it's safe to come out. It doesn't change a thing and I'm willing to wait with you along the journey."

Jaxon looks up with tears still in his eyes. He picks up the roses in his lap and sobs again. "God, you're so fucking nice."

Shawn raises his eyes brows and smiles. "Wow. Did you just cuss?"

Shawn reaches over and grabs Jaxon's hand, kissing it once. "You know...We could swing by Mcdonald's or something. Still have our date?"

Jaxon smiles softly and nods. "Sure."

**