Chapter 2

POV Alina

She opened her eyes when the sun had already been raised. The morning sky was grey, so there was no bright in the room. She could feel his steady breath on the back of her neck. His hand was resting on her waist.

She tried not to think about all the horrors of the last evening. Here, with him, she was safe and loved. That was like she'd described home in her letter to Mal. There had been no place which she could call home before she came to Little Palace. That's why she'd always associated home with only one person who was close to her. And at that moment she didn't even know where he was. It was a great sorrow to her to lose Mal. But she found much more. Home, friends, power... and him.

She heard him move slightly behind her back. She rotated to him and met his sleepy gaze.

"What an amazing view," he mumbled.

"Good morning," she smiled at him.

"Morning, sunshine," he answered, stroking her cheek.

"It's cloudy outside."

"But I hold the sun in my arms."

She chuckled. He kissed her smile.

"I would like to stay here with you all day," he murmured, kissing her chin.

"But you have your duties." She ran her fingertips through his bare shoulder.

He sighed and kissed her throat.

"This day will be difficult for all," he said and raised his head to look at her.

"We can handle it." She removed the lock of hair from his forehead.

He nodded and kissed her again.

POV Aleksander

He was kissing her when someone knocked on the door. He groaned.

"Why does everyone like to knock on this damn door?"

"I hope there is no more bad news," she said.

He sighed and got up from the bed. It was difficult for him to break from his Sun Summoner. It was different with her, not like with other women. For him, she was really special. She was made for him.

He took on his black robe and went to the door. He'd looked at Alina, who had hidden under a blanket before he opened the door. It was Ivan.

"I'm not happy to see you so early in the morning," he said to his Heartrender.

"Moi soverenyi, you always wake up earlier."

"Today, I want to sleep. What's wrong?"

"These two First Army soldiers, who arrived yesterday with the news about the stag. One of them was found dead."

Aleksander turned his gaze to watch Alina lying in bed. He wanted to be certain that she could not hear their conversation.

"Whom?" He asked Ivan.

"Bigger one."

"Tracker?"

"No. But he is gone. We don't know where he is. And one of our oprichnik is dead too."

"What the hell is going on in this palace?! Find this otkazat'sya!"

"As you wish."