Chapter 18

POV Alina

The gust of wind shoved Mal beside, saving him from the blade of light. Alina looked up at the skiff, where Zoya was standing with a confused expression on her pretty face.

«You will regret that,» she screamed to Alina.

«I regret I didn't do that earlier!»

«General destroyed Novokribirsk, tracker did nothing wrong!»

«That town is standing, as it stood before,» Alina pointed to the left side where the roofs and dooms came to view. Zoya didn't answer, but Alina saw how her shoulders fell down with relief.

Alina turned around to the Fold, raising her arms to call the light. She had a hope that Aleksander was somewhere there and she still could help him.

The light burst from her in shimmering cascades, enlightening the darkness forward. But she didn't see him, even when she enlightened a wide space inside the Fold.

Not enough... I can't leave him there.

She knew how he had created the Fold. Alina read in Morozova's journal about merzost. That was beyond Small Science, magic which requires its payment. Hard to control, unstable. But this was her best chance. She could remember words written in a journal in old Ravkan. So she whispered... calling to an unknown, ancient power.

She felt how that power rushed through her, strange, unfamiliar feeling. It was terrifying, limitless. Her light didn't feel like always, it was like a living creature. Everything in front of her was blazing in white, dazzling light. This light was unnatural, not meant to exist.

Alina screamed, feeling how this creation tore a bit of her away, exacting the price for it. But her grief was more painful, taking from her control over this power. She collapsed to her knees, blood was pouring from her nose.

It felt like the world was burning. All of this consumed her, she was blinded by this light. And the next moment, darkness swallowed her.

POV The Darkling

Blood blurred his gaze, running from the wounds across his face. He tried to take a breath but felt that something obscured his lungs. Maybe some broken ribs.

You need to stand up. You need to move.

When he tried to stand up, pulling himself from the grey sand of the Fold, he groaned with sudden pain in his leg.

Maybe, not only ribs are broken. Don't complain, Aleksander. You are still alive. And able to kill this filthy otkazat'sya when you will get out from here.

He heard screams of volcra, beating of their wings.

So, I'm not tasty for my own monster.

The little laugh escaped from his lips, but that made him feel his broken ribs. He inhaled sharply. Looking around emptiness around him, he was disturbed with only one thought.

Where is Alina?

Something could happen to her. He had seen how her light faded, which could mean only that something was wrong with her.

He didn't know in what direction he had to go. There weren't any traces of skiff, just endless darkness around.

And then he saw the light flowing to him, tearing the darkness. Something strange was in this light, unnatural. It was not pure sunlight, which Alina can summon. When it came closer, he felt the pull of that power. He knew it too well. Like calls to like.

«No,» he whispered. She couldn't do that.

Aleksander moved forward against the light, clutching his side, squeezing his eyes. He wasn't noticing pain as he sped up his steps. One moment he thought, that he could collapse. But he kept moving.