Chapter 5

POV The Darkling

Aleksander was looking at the black box with letters. He took one of them. That was the last letter from the tracker.

Dear Alina,

          Weeks gone and still no words from you. I can't stop seeing your face that day on the skiff. I'm not sure I ever will.

         I keep writing to you as if these words could reach you before I do. But maybe what I'm doing is rehearsing what to say to you. What I should've said to you much sooner.

Alina, if you get this letter know that when I told you about True North. I was talking about you. You are my True North. And I see my way back to you now. Mal.

Aleksander crumpled the letter in his palm.

"True North," he spat with disgust. He took a sip from his glass of kvas. He didn't like the idea to left her alone with the tracker. He put a letter back in the box and closed it.

Genya came to his study. She was in her new red kefta.
"Oh, Genya, red suits you," he said.

"No, no. It's terrible with my hair. Maybe, I should change it. Why did you call for me?"

"I need you to get rid of this," he pointed to the black box.

"What is that?" asked Genya.

"Letters," he answered and slumped back in his chair.

"It's not right," said Genya with guilt on her face.

"I don't ask your opinion what is right or not. It's better for her this way," he rubbed his chin.

"She became a real friend for me."

"I'm happy for you both."

"And I know about your affair with her," Genya pursed her lips.

"Affair?" He raised his eyebrows. "Miss Safin, I don't think you used a correct word."

"I'm worried about her," she said.

"It's nice that you care about her. But I don't think that my relations with Miss Starkov are your business."

"I'm sorry, General. I'm happy if it's something real."

"It is," he replied.

"So I'm happy for you both," Genya smiled.

"What did she tell you?" He crossed his hands on his chest.

"Not much. But she looks happy."

He smiled.

"Oh, is it a smile on your face?" She chuckled.

"Genya, she is important for me, not only as the Sun Summoner. So that is all that you should know... for now."

"Of course," she nodded. "Do you have any news from the Grand Palace? I heard Queen is still angry that you took me from her."

"Not much time left for her to be a Queen."

"King?"

"Still walking. You said that you had your own way of poisoning him. How?"

Genya turned her gaze and sighed.

"It will be my secret," she said, but her voice trembled.

"Genya, what did you do? Or you didn't?" He stood up from his chair and came closer to Genya.