Chapter 17

She laughed at Genya's stories about courtiers while the Tailor was making her hair.

«You will find them all hilarious. I'm sure they will try to kiss your ass just to be favored by you.»

«Oh,» Alina grimaced. «Saints.»

«What are you laughing at?» Aleksander asked, entering the tent.

«Genya told me about courtiers. To be honest, I'm a little bit confused, about how I will deal with them.»

«We can kill them all if you want, my sweetheart,» said Aleksander, shoving grape to his mouth.

Alina and Genya looked at him, astonished, with wide-open eyes.

«Just a joke,» he shrugged, chawing.

Genya smiled, but her smile was more like a grimace. Alina rolled her eyes.

«Genya, I can tell you a joke about how I decided to marry a man without a sense of humor.»

Aleksander snorted and sprawled on the couch. Genya laughed.

«You hear, my love, people laugh at my jokes,» she teased him.

«I'm a lucky man to have you with your good sense of humor,» he answered, taking more food from the table in front of the couch. He filled a cup of tea for himself.

«You are so lovely together,» Genya clasped her hands, smiling.

«Genya, did you notice how David looks at you?» Aleksander'd asked before he put a piece of pastry to his mouth.

Genya gasped, her eyes fluttered open. Alina lifted her head to look at her friend.

«Umm... I don't think he noticing me at all,» mumbled Genya, putting a golden hairpin into Alina's hair.

Alina saw, through the mirror, how Aleksander arched his eyebrows and smirked.

«Remember today's morning, he came when we were talking. Then when you left us, he was looking after you until you reached this tent. He even didn't hear what I was talking to him,» Aleksander said.

Genya stabbed Alina's head with a hairpin when she was listening to Aleksander's telling.

«Auch,» Alina muttered.

«Oh... sorry Alina. It's done,» Genya said to her. Alina looked at her reflection with satisfaction.

Genya turned around to look at Aleksander. «Moi soverenyi, are kidding me?»

Aleksander shook his head, still chewing his food. Alina cast a glance at him. When he met her gaze, his eyes flashed, and he winked at her.

«He never looked at me twice,» said Genya with bitterness in her tone.

«He is just shy. Talented, of course, but bashful,» Aleksander shrugged.

Genya'd trampled at her place, then heaved a sigh.

«Maybe I should talk with him,» she mumbled.

«You can go to the fabrikator's tent and ask him about my request. How it's going,» said Aleksander.

Genya smiled with enthusiasm and nodded. «I will ask.» She'd curtsied, then left them alone.

Alina chuckled, «Are you doing a matchmaking of your Grisha now?»

Aleksander frowned, with a strange smile on his lips. His look made Alina laugh even more.

«You didn't see how these two look at each other behind each other eyes,» he answered, grinning. He rose to his feet and came closer to her. He put his hands on her shoulders, looking at her reflection in the mirror. «You are the most beautiful woman I've ever met,» he said in his tenderest voice.