Chapter 20

Note: Publishing the previous chapter, I wrote that it had been hard to write with a fever and coronavirus. But worse things happened to me, as I should leave my home to flee from the war. On Thursday morning I woke up with the news about the Russian invasion of my country. I'm Ukrainian and I'm proud to be one.
I write because that's my hobby, I even tried to write my own stuff, not fanfics. I'm a lawyer, and I had the job I loved until Thursday morning.
When I'm writing this fanfic, I try to understand the characters. And I've always understood the Darkling. Because as a person who sees my home straggling from the war, I gladly put the Fold on the Ukrainian-Russian border, and use it against people who invaded my homeland, making innocent people suffer.
If someone would like to help https://how-you-can-support-ukraine.super.site/
This chapter I'd written mostly before everything happened. So enjoy.
***
POV Alina

The next few days, they were traveling along Vy, without the rush of their first trip to Os Alta. But still trying to remain quick.

They traveled by horse or in a coach. Alina liked to look around spring Ravkan fields, enjoying greenery and flowers, breathing their scent. When they were traveling by coach, she read books about law and politics, listening to Aleksander's instructions about court protocols and other things, which she should know as the Queen. Once she fell asleep while his telling.

When they were riding through towns and villages, people greeted them as their new Queen and King. She felt through their bond how much Aleksander liked to be loved by Ravkan people, even when his face didn't show many emotions. Alina knew he had wanted this for so a long time. He had pledged his life to protect these people and finally got the appreciation he deserved.

Alina was aware of their return to Os Alta, about all things, which would happen. Nevertheless, she was in anticipation of the wedding. Like every girl, she'd had dreams about a wedding when she was younger. She remembered how once she'd listened to a girl's conversation in the First Army. Alina had imagined her own with Mal, just a little ceremony in a church, she would be in a common white dress with irises in her hair. However, had never imagined that her wedding would be royal. But she was anticipating a wedding, not for a celebration, she wanted a moment when Aleksander would proclaim to the whole world that he is hers.

When they finally reached Os Alta, people were gathering near its walls. They were pilgrims, who wanted to see their saints, and who believe that they would give them a chance for a better life.

«Don't we give them empty hope?» She asked Aleksander when they were passing through the crowd, which had gathered near the city gates.

«Empty or not, this depends on us. But even having hope is better than nothing.»

She'd remained silent until they reached Little Palace. Alina was happy to see its white walls and golden domes again. She smiled, looking at it, and Aleksander noticed that.

«I missed it too,» he said, getting off the horse. He helped her to get off her horse, and they both looked at the palace.

«Nice to be back home,» said Alina.

He turned his gaze from the palace to her, smiling. «You finally consider the Little Palace as home.»

«Our home,» she returned him a smile.

After a long way, she needed a hot bath and change her clothes to lighter silk kefta. Alina was happy to see her room exactly as she had left it. But she hadn't stayed there for long, as she went to the general's quarter.

Alina found Aleksander sitting in the war room. He was only in a black shirt, his kefta was lying on the chair next to him. Hearing her steps, he lifted his head to see her. His look was tired, but still, she caught a glimpse of happiness in his eyes.