Chapter 7

Riley's POV:

"James, you have to tell me where we're going. You're practically kidnapping me," I whine, throwing my head back against the rest as we drive through town. It was late afternoon and the sun was setting, making the sky a beautiful pinkish purple.

"I'm not telling you, Riley," James says with a tinted chuckle. I roll my eyes at him, frown, and pout whilst continuing to gaze out of the passenger window.

We had left town now and were driving along the forest district, into the woods. There were a few cars travelling and in the fields were a couple of tents and blankets set up. I look at James in confusion and turn around to face him. 

"Jay, what are we doing at a campsite?" I ask him.
"What?" he says but he still had a clear stupid grin across his face. Puzzled, I point out of my window and he smirks. "You're looking the wrong way, Ri," he tells me. "That's not where the surprise is."

"Then where? We've been driving around for almost a whole twenty minutes now."
He rolls his eyes at me and then moves his hand to my knee, making me look up at him. When I do, he smiles and nods his head in the direction of his window. "Look out my side."

Hastily, I do just that to be met by the view of a field similar to the one on my right but this time the trees were decorated in beautiful neon lights. There was a cabin which read the words 'Andy's Shack' and it had two cardboard cut-outs of Cocktail drinks outside of it on the patio.

Driving closer, I look out to see a couple of cars parked up along the side and a bunch of balloons, streamers and confetti spread all around. The closer we get, the louder the music becomes and I look at James with widened eyes.

"James, what is this?"
"You'll find out soon enough." He squeezes my kneecap once and then removes his hand to properly control the steering wheel.

We drive up to the car park and reach the candy-cane coloured barrier. James types in his registration plate on the machine to be given a token in response and the barrier is lifted up to allow us to go through.
Once James parks up, both of us get out of the car and he places his hand on my back lightly as soon as we are stood beside each other outside. 

"Wait here for a moment. I'm just going to pay for the parking, okay," he says. I nod and stay put like he had told me to until my phone vibrates in my hand more than one time. I turn it on, only to find a series of texts from the one person I really didn't want to hear from right now.

Nate - Riley where are you??
Nate - Your parents just told me to come and stay with you but you're not here and neither are your things
Nate - Istg if you've run away your parents are going to kill both of us.
Nate - Riley. Answer me.

Completely frightened for my life, I begin to tremble and shake from fear. A sudden rush of cold hits me and I begin to feel benumbed by the wind, my heart rapidly thumping. I had a perfect plan for what I would do or say if Mom or Dad were to realise I had let Montreal, but I by no means ever thought Nate would be the first to find out.

Returning from the paying machine, James smiles at me up until he gets close enough to view my expression properly.
"Ri what's wrong?" he immediately asks.
"Nothing. I'm . . . I'm fine."

"Babe, you're stuttering," he says. he steps closer and pulls me into him lightly, not wanting to trigger me like he unconsciously did last time.
He wraps his arms around my waist and as he does I can't help but rest my head on his chest and hug him back tightly.

"I told you not to call me that," I mumble, wanting to bring up any kind of conversation that will divert my mind away from thinking about Nate.

"Riley," he whispers worriedly. "What are you not telling me?"
"Nothing. I'm just . . . cold. Hold me?" I ask, placing my chin on his chest and looking up to him. He sighs, knowing I was lying, but listens to me anyway.
"Okay," he responds, kissing my nose.

It was obvious he knew something was up but I just wasn't ready to tell him. I'm just glad he's here for me when I need him even if he doesn't entirely know what's going on.
His patience was one of the things I always loved about him. It's also one of the many things right now that make him different to Nate - who didn't seem to stop texting me until the point where I had to put my phone on silent. James was suspicious still but he didn't say anything and instead led me over to my 'big surprise'.

Michelle's POV:

"I can see her coming," I whisper to the rest of A-Troupe who were stood behind the bushes.
"She's with James," Cierra adds.
All of us nodding at each other, we crouch down so we were hidden behind the heights of the emerald bushes. Everyone had their party poppers in their hands and we all grin at each other, waiting for James's signal.

To stop each other from laughing, Cierra, Thalia and I all put our fingers to our lips and West and Eldon's whispers were all that could be heard. Giselle nudges their ribs from where they were crouching down and tells them to be quiet, then as soon as they are, we're met with the sound of Ri's voice.

"James, what are we doing here? I really don't get it. Is there some kind of party going on or something?"

As soon as she says that, I poke my head out from the bush and James nods his head at me as the signal. Nodding back at him, I mouth the word 'Go' to everyone and we all jump up, bursting our party poppers so that it shoots confetti.
"Surprise!"

Riley's POV:

I stare at them all in shock. Laughing at my reaction, James pulls me in close to him and I smile, still gawping at the scenery. "What is all this?" I ask, looking around at all of A-Troupe.
"I told you. It was your surprise," James responds. Rolling my eyes, I look up at him and into his pupils. "We've just missed you, Riles. Think of it as a welcome back celebration," he adds, making me smile profusely.

"I didn't think you missed me that much," I laugh.
"Who came up with this?"
"He did. It was all James's idea," Michelle tells me, and as soon as she does, I reach up and press a tender kiss to his cheek.

"Thank you," I tell him as he pulls me closer to his body. He chuckles and shakes his head.
"There's nothing to thank me for," he mimicks his line from last night, making me roll my eyes at him before he takes my hand. "Now come on. It's a party. Let's celebrate."

He drags me over to the middle of the field where a plastic dance floor had been fitted into the ground with disco lights positioned in the trees. At first, we start dancing to a little bit of hip-hop until he twirls me around and pulls me into his chest. When he does, I look up at him and smile before burying my head into the crook of his neck and our upbeat style of dance dissolves into a slow one. 

It really is good to be back. This is my home. My family. And I regret ever leaving them.